I Am Afraid of General Anesthesia, Would Smart Lipo Work for Me or Do I Need Regular Lipo? (photo)

I am 33 years old, I got 3 kids, youngest is 2 years old, 6 yers ago I got breast implants and I hd no problem with the general anhestesia, but now that I have 3 kids I feel bad if sometingh happen to me who would take care of them. I want to have a nice body like before, So wich one would be the safest and would help me flatten my belly and hips. thanks PS when do I need to do it t be ready for this summer

Would SmartLipo work for me?

+2

You are a very good candidate for SmartLipo. SmartLipo is very effective for removing excess fatty deposits and contracting the skin at the same time. I perform SmartLipo in my El Paso, Texas, practice under local anesthesia, with mild sedation, or with general anesthesia.

El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction

+2

Liposuction is a great way to get rid of some areas of fatty deposits with good skin quality. You should not be afraid of anesthesia, because it is very safe and make the experience more comortable for patients.

Type of Anesthesia

+2

You look like you could be a good candidate for liposuction or Smartlipo.  Both can be performed under twilight anesthesia or light sedation.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

It should be a breeze as long as your surgeon's nurse knows what she is doing!

+2

We do all of our liposuctions (tumescent and SmartLipo) under local anesthesia and it works great!  While we offer light sedation (versed), I can't even recall the last time we needed to use it as our patients don't have any issues and feel it is painless. 

That is the benefit of going this way, but remember that not all offices have the same level of expertise and you want to go somewhere that you trust and where the nurse is well trained as they will likely be the one administering the anesthetic for it.  Good luck on your procedure!

Joel Schlessinger, MD
Omaha Dermatologist

Anesthesia and liposuction

+2

You could have any type of liposuction using local anesthesia with or without sedation. Laser lipo does require less anesthesia fluid than some other types.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Hips

+2

One of the best parts about smart lipo is tha it is done with light sedation and local anesthesia. Although a long procedure patients do well and the results, in my opinion, are superior to traditional lipo. I suggest you proceed soon if you want to be ready for summer.

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Of anesthesia for liposuction

+2
I myself am partial to Smartlipo But either form will work for you. When do you do Under local or with Twilight sedation is really up to you and your surgeon. local is not for everyone specially the upper abdomen area which is extra sensitive. we do either but for the great majority of patients I prefer sedation. it is extremely safe and so much easier for people to go through especially when you get into larger areas. good luck with either decision.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Evidence for safety of local anesthesia liposuction

+1

In Florida all adverse events from office surgery must be reported. An article just published in the February 2012 issue of Dermatologic Surgery journal summarized the evidence of the past 10 years of reporting. Liposuction with general anesthesia accounted for 10 deaths, yet no deaths occurred with liposuction with only local anesthesia. You can decide if being under general anesthesia or local anesthesia makes the most sense for you.

You also asked about SmartLipo. SmartLipo is a type of laser. I prefer SlimLipo, but whatever laser is used, it's important to remember that the laser is used with liposuction, not in place of liposuction. Liposuction still is necessary to suction out the fat, whether it has been heated with a laser or not. Excellent results can be achieved, with or without a laser, by an experienced liposuction surgeon. 

Kimberly Finder, MD
San Antonio Dermatologic Surgeon