Affordable Options for Saline Implant Removal?

I had saline implants inserted 9 years ago, and one them deflated 3 days ago. I have no interest in ever having it replaced, and would just like both implants permanently removed. However, I don't have a lot of money, and I am not currently insured (Rheumatoid Arthritis has made it impossible for me to get affordable coverage, so I go without). What are the risks of leaving a deflated implant in place? Are there any affordable options for having both implants permanently removed?

There is no medical problem to having a deflated implant

+2

You will not cause yourself any medical problem if you leave your deflated implant in place.  If you want them both simply removed, one way to do this with little cost is to do it with local anesthesia in a plastic surgeon's office.  This would involve injection of lidocaine to numb the area, re-creating an incision in the area that is numb, then popping the implant, removing it and closing the incision.  This type of implant removal costs $300-800.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Options for deflated saline implants

+2

Sorry for your troubles.  The deflated implant is harmless to you and some in your position just have the other deflated and left in.  This is the least expensive option for sure.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Removing breast implants

+1

As long as you're not having problems, you'll probably be okay.  Check out your local teaching hospital for implant removal as they frequently offer very low rates.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Options for saline implant removal

+1

Saline implants are very easily removed often under a local alone and can be made very affordable. Most saline implants will carry a warranty by the manufacturer for ten years which covers the cost of removal and replacement for a premature leak, so pull out your records and have you surgeon pursue a claim.

peterejohnsonmd

Options for dealing with a deflated implant with difficult financial situation

+1

The good news for you is that potentially the costs of removal will be the lowest compared to other scenarios. Under local anesthesia in a board certified plastic surgeon's office, these can usually be removed fairly easily. The thinner and less existing breast tissue that you have, the simpler and more comfortable it will be.

The other option which I could not strongly recommend for the long term would to just have the other side deflated and leave the "envelopes" in. This could be considered as a short term solution (and would help with the aesthetic issues) until you can afford to have both implants removed.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Breast implant removal

+1

If you have a deflated saline breast implant on one side, you could undergo an in-office deflation of the other side to give better symmetry.  Ultimately you will require removal of both implants, which could be done under local anesthesia with some mild IV sedation. The total cost could vary between 2500-4000 depending on the anesthesia fees, operating/facility fees, etc.

There are no health risks of leaving a deflated saline implant in place.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Deflated Breast Implants do NOT pose a Threat

+1

Regarding: "Affordable Options for Saline Implant Removal?
I had saline implants inserted 9 years ago, and one them deflated 3 days ago. I have no interest in ever having it replaced, and would just like both implants permanently removed. However, I don't have a lot of money, and I am not currently insured (Rheumatoid Arthritis has made it impossible for me to get affordable coverage, so I go without). What are the risks of leaving a deflated implant in place? Are there any affordable options for having both implants permanently removed
?"

As long as the implants are not infected there is no reason to remove them UNLESS you wanted them replaced. They will not hurt you. Insurance would not pay for breast implant removal or replacement so your having coverage would not matter.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Removal of deflated implant

+1

Since you are nine years out from your surgery, the implant manufacturer may help with the expense of replacement.  Manufacturers do have warranties on implants.  You would need to ask your plastic surgeon to check on that.  The simplest solution is to deflate the intact implant.  It is a simple procedure in the office.  I have done it several times mainly to get an idea of the breast anatomy without the implant fullness.  This allows me to better plan what to do when I do go in to revise the breasts.

Randy Proffitt, MD
Mobile Plastic Surgeon

Low cost solution to deflated implant

+1

Sorry to hear about your financial difficulties.  The least expensive way to deal with this is to have your board certified plastic surgeon deflate the opposite side in the office under sterile technique to not be so uneven and leave them in until you can afford to have them removed.

Ricardo A. Meade, MD

Breast Implant Removal

+1

I believe explantation should also include removal of the capsule. Otherwise fluid may accumolate in the pocket.

Leaving deflated implant is OK, But remember that they can fold and poke through the skin (Emergency) or like any implant can be seeded with bacteria and get infected.