Affects of Pregnancy and Breastfeeding on Augmentated Breasts?

I am 16 weeks pregnant and I had a breast aug. 4 years ago to correct assymetry.I had a breast lift on both breasts(areolas removed)and a breast implant in my right.I am torn whether or not I should breastfeed, if I am able to, because I don't know if it's worth the damage it may cause, physically and mentally.I know it is difficult to predict but I just need opinions.Will my breast w/o the implant grow bigger than the one with, if I can only BF from the one w/o will the difference be dramatic?

Affects of Pregnancy and Breast Feeding on Augmented Breast

+1
Impossible to tell the effects of pregnancy on individual persons breasts. I would think it is worth trying and would also consult with both your plastic surgeon and OB doctor. Most women can breast feed with implants. The incision site, specifically the periareolar incision may cause blocked milk ducts and decrease your ability to breast feed though in my experience most will still be able. The other incision choices should not affect your ability to breast feed. Remember not all women can breast feed successfully with or without implants.

Affects of Pregnancy and Breastfeeding on Augmentated Breasts.

+1

This is a good question and one that I have been asked many times. Predicting how your breasts will be affected by pregnancy or breastfeeding after augmentation is not possible. The transformation which occurs in the breast during pregnancy and breastfeeding is due to hormonal changes as well as changes in breast volume. These changes are not related to your breast augmentation. Deciding not to breastfeed will not necessarily protect you from the affects you seek to avoid, as they may occur due to the pregnancy.

Pedro M. Soler, Jr., MD

Breast feeding changes after breast augmentation is unpredictable

+1

Thank you for your question. It is very hard to predict how your breasts will change with pregnancy and breast feeding after breast augmentation and a lift. They may change a lot or a little. Any changes that occur that you are unhappy with should be able to be corrected with surgery. It depends on how important it is to you that you breast feed your baby. It is possible that you are unable to breast feed anyway. I know that many of my patients let nature decide; if they are able to breast feed, they do so. Good luck.

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Affects of breast feeding is unpredictable after augmentation

+1

We have had many breast feed after augmentation and the shape or damage to the breast we find is very unpredictable. Most do not have issues with sagging, some lose volume. Still breast feeding can be important, and if you wish to give it go we would not let your implants hold you back. If you don't want to breast feed, and indeed some can't, no need to feel guilty as the choice is yours.

Pregnancy and breast feeding in the augmented patient

+1
I don't think anyone can predict the impact of pregnancy and breast feeding on your situation, particularly in the unilateral augment scenario. This is dependent on a variety of factors including weight gain, skin laxity, and hormonal considerations. From your post, I sense that you'd prefer not to breast feed and, if that is the case, I don't think you should feel pressured to do so. You have plenty of weeks left in the pregnancy to think about this and come to a decision with which you are comfortable. Best of luck!

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Affects of pregnancy and nursing on previous breast augmentation and lift

+1

This is a great question and a very common concern.  Pregnancy and motherhood are unpredictable in so many ways - including the affect on your body.  My best advice is not to make a final decision right now.  Pregnancy (regardless of your breastfeeding decision) will affect your breasts.  Several of the hormones your body is producing are designed to increase the amount of glandular breast tissue you have.  Your body will start preparing for milk production whether or not you breast feed.  The decision whether or not to breastfeed is deeply personal.  Talk to your pediatrician and to friends who've made both decisions.  See how you and your newborn are feeling after birth.  Your body will be geared up for milk production whether or not you decide to breastfeed.  You don't have to decide now.  Pregnancy will affect your breasts and no one can predict the extent of that change until it happens. 

Andrew Jimerson, MD

Pregnancy will have an unpredictable effect on the breasts regardless of whether there are breast implants or not.

+1

I wouldn't make a decision to breast feed based on the presence of implants.  Breast feeding might cause some unwanted aesthetic changes in the breast but the implants have no role in that.

Breast Changes after Breast Augmentation and Breast Feeding?

+1

I would agree with you that it is impossible to predict exactly what changes will occur to the breasts  after pregnancy and/or breast-feeding. I would suggest that you make the decision about breast-feeding after discussing the pros/cons of breast-feeding with your pediatrician. It is very likely that the pros of breast-feeding will outweigh the potential downsides. Remember, that revision breast surgery may be “necessary” regardless of whether you decide to breast-feed or not.

Best wishes for an uneventful pregnancy and a healthy newborn.

+1

It is rather unpredictable in an individual patient as to how much change there will be to the breasts during pregnancy and nursing, and how much recovery afterward. 

The changes that do occur may happen from the pregnancy alone, independent of whether the patient breast fed after. 

The benefits of breastfeeding are rather widely known. The individual risks of changes to the mothers breast are not predictable, so you will have to make your decision without a lot of valid predictive information.

A discussion with your surgeon and your chosen pediatrician may help you sort this all out. Best wishes.