What Would Affect Surgeon's Decision About How to Place a Big Chin Implant?

Through incision under the chin or through the mouth?

Chin Implant Incisions

+1

All things being equal, I also prefer to place the implant under the chin.  The incision heals well, I feel I can direct the implant better and there is a slightly less chance of infection.  I always advise patients to try to not direct their surgery, however.  If you have a good relationship with and trust your surgeon go with their recommendation.  If you feel they are not addressing your concerns--consider moving on.  Good luck!

Kansas City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implants are best placed through a short incision under the chin.

+1

This approach reduces the risk of contamination and infection, and also makes it easier to put the implant in exactly the right position so that one end is not higher than the other.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Chin Implants Can Be Placed Either From Above Or Below

+1

While either intraoral or the submental approach to placing a chin implant is acceptable, the submental approach has a lower risk of potential complications. Going intraoral with a chin implant insertion does carry with it a higher risk of infection as well as inadequate implant placement or stability. (if a screw is not used) This is a fairly high 'price' to pay to avoid a submental scar which usually heals very inconspicuously anyway. The size of the chin implant, however, should make no difference how it is inserted unless it is a much larger custom chin implant which necessitates going only from the submental incision.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

The choice of the incision for a chin implant is mainly a Surgeons opinion

+1

Either throught the mouth or under the chin are acceptable  approaches to placing a chin implant. I personally prefer the under chin approach. There proably is a smaller chance of infection and he inision is under the chin and almost non visable. The other advantage is the the patient doesn't have to modify their diet for several days. 

What I do think is important is that the chin implant be placed under the periosteium of the chin bone so that it will adhere tightly to the bone and not be movable. The size of the implant depends on the size of the original chin and should not be overly large. Regardless of the size it can be placed through either incision. 

Carl W. 'Rick' Lentz III, MD