Do I Have an Aesthetically Ideal Nose for a Female? (photo)

I have, for some reason, been focusing on my nose lately. I sometimes feel like it would be considered large. If I were a patient coming to your office, would you suggest changing it in any way? Or would you tell me that it's fine the way it is and not worth the surgery?

Ideal Nose and Rhinoplasty

+4

You have a very well-proportioned and aesthetically pleasing nose.  If you were to come into my office with this question I would not recommend a rhinoplasty.  However, before meeting with a rhinoplasty surgeon I would suggest spending a little more time focusing on what features of your nose trouble you.  

In general, patients that are happy after surgery tend to be ones with specific complaints that are correctable with rhinoplasty.  Being able to communicate your concerns and desired goals will allow your surgeon to have a meaningful discussion about whether these goals are realistic and attainable.  That is to say, rather then asking if your nose can be made to look better, focus on specific features with which you are unhappy.  Is the nasal tip too large or too pointed, a dorsal hump, or a nasal tip the moves too much with speech. 

Hope this helps.

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Do I need a rhinoplasty?

+3

Hi there,

This a really interesting question, and one which deserves a contextual answer.  I fear that the answers will only generally add to your confusion, but you've taken the risk of asking it, so here goes:

Your question is a "does my ass look big in this" question.  As a surgeon, it doesn't leave us with a method of answering you that has no risk!  If we say "yes your nose is large" then we may add to your concern or distress.  Or if we say "you're perfect as you are" then we are essentially being judgemental, reassuring, possible creating a sense of being patronising, and overriding your possible concerns without resolving them.

In practice we are often facing this dilemma - when to advise surgery, and when to advise leaving a feature alone. 

Here's how to think it through:  Firstly, your nose is completely normal, and you have a beautiful face.  This doesn't mean that your nose can't be made smaller, it can, and we are frequently reducing the size of normal noses which are perceived by the patient to be larger than they wish.

Second, have you thought about your nasal size for a long period? Are you conscious of it every day? Do you dwell on your nasal appearance?  Do you think for example that you're pretty?  Would you say your nose impedes you socially? Is it a minor issue for you or a major one?

Thirdly, we need to understand more about you as a person.  Is your life stable socially, in a relationship sense and in a stress sense?  Are you in a transition, or in a perfectly normal and happy part of your life?  Do you have a history of OCD, for example, or depression or even BDD ( body dysmorphic disorder) .  I'm not at all suggesting you have any of these things, I'm trying to give you insight into the way we would assess your question in practice, and this kind of information is key to advising you upon your best way forward. 

At the end of the day, if your life, health and mental health is stable, and you feel that your nose is too large, and that this is a significant issue for you, then you can have a successful rhinoplasty.  If you feel that it's a minor issue, then definitely don't.  Maybe if the former is the way you feel , have a consultation with a good rhinoplasty surgeon in your area.

And my own patronising opinion that you're welcome to ignore is that I think you have a beautiful face.

Howard Webster, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Can't fix perfection!

+2

Half my staff want's your nose, the other half wants your eyes.  I think your nose and face are in nice balance.  Could you refine the tip and deproject the nose slightly, yeah.  However, you look great.  I just don't see this as being worth the risk and expense.  You have to decide for yourself.   If you wanted to play with the idea a little more computer imaging at a surgeon's office might be helpful to you.

Best of luck

Chase Lay, MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thoughts

+2

Beauty can be described and looked at in many ways. First and foremost YOU need to be the deciding person. Are you un-happy with your nose? Are you that unhappy that you are willing to permanently alter it? A good surgeon will talk WITH you about procedures, not FOR you. If you are seeking more information regarding the rhinoplasty surgery itself then I would suggest seeing a doctor and talking about it. See if they can morph your nose with you. But again, please make sure you are willing to do this – this must be your decision.
Good luck!

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty opinion

+2

There is nothing wrong with your nose.  It is not too large and you are a nice looking lady.  Noses that need work are generally pretty obvious.

Best Wishes

Dr. Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

Ideal feminine nose.

+2

There is no such thing! There are many beautiful noses that have common structure and in Western civilization don't have bumps. If you are happy with it leave it alone!

Rhinoplasty

+2

Your facial structure and proportion is quite attractive. A case could be made that you have a little overprojection but if you were my patient I would ask you to think long and hard about undergoing surgery. Most patients would be happy to have your nose as a postop result. We have a saying in plastic surgery that "The enemy of good is better" meaning if you have something that looks good and try to make it look better you have more to lose than to gain. Hope that helps.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Video imaging is a great way to see how you would look after a rhinoplasty.

+2

Aesthetic rhinoplasty is a totally elective procedure.  There are mathematical standards of beauty but, in the end, beauty is also subjective.  I would suggest you go to a good plastic surgeon and have video imaging done to give you and idea how you would look after the operation.

Do I Have an Aesthetically Ideal Nose for a Female?

+1

Aesthetically, your nose is Ok but not ideal.  The tip is over projected and a bit wide as is the nasal bridge.  This is exaggerated by the weak chin.  You may want to have a consultation with an experieneced Rhinoplasty Surgeon that understands and follows the proper aesthetics of facial (and nasal) beauty.