Aerola Reduction Surgery with Problems

Hi, I had an aerola reduction surgery 1 year ago and after few months the stitches hadn't disappeared and the doctor had to remove them manually. After that, the aerola has been leaking. The leakage is just around the nipples, the liquid is clear but "sticky" and there's no pain. The doctor gives me a cream and after using it, it stops leaking for a couple of weeks and it starts all over again. Any suggestions? What to do? What can be wrong?

Areola Reduction Problems

+1

Based on your description and the fact that you are over one year out of surgery, I think you are probably dealing with an issue with permanent sutures. I would suggest continued follow-up with your surgeon as  further removal of the sutures may be necessary to resolve the problem. 

Areola issues

+1

It is likely that you may have one of two issues. If a permanent sture is used, it may be contaminated with bacteria, which lives in the duct system of the nipple and areola. Secondly, it is possible that you may have a cyst within the areolar tissues, as these are glandular tissues that can develop cysts in any woman's breasts. You should be evaluated by your surgeon as soon as possible.

William Loutfy, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

Areolar reduction problems

+1

Dear Goforit,

I have done a lot of these surgeries and I believe I can tell you what is your issue. Most of the time there is a permanent suture used to sew the areolar down to smaller size. We call this a "purse string" suture. It is often permanent. You can tell if you feel a "ring" that is a smaller diameter than your now natural areola. If this becomes infected, then the problem becomes what you describe. It is easy to remove in the office. I use dissolvable sutures for this reason.

Let me know if this helps.

Sincerely,

Dr. Romano

James Romano, MD