If I Get an Aerola Reduction, is the Scar Very Noticeable?

I am latina, olive skin tone and tan easily. Will the aerola reduction scar be very noticeable? I seem to heal well based on my previous breast augmentation with was through crease...I just really still want my aerolas reduced. They are so big.

Nipple Areolar reduction can leave noticeable scars

+1

The acars around the areolar typically heal very well and the scars tend to fade with time. It is good to hear that you have had two breast scars that have healed nicely. I always recommend asking to see scars that the surgeon has performed so that you can judge for yourself.

Areola scarring

+1

It is important to know that the areola  scar  will always be noticeable (some  more than others). This may be because the scar heals with too much or too little pigment or because the scar is raised.

You should also be aware, that areola  reduction surgery does carry  other risks such as spreading of the areola, asymmetry, shape irregularity etc.

in order to avoid disappointment, it behooves you to be aware of the worse case scenario and, armed with that knowledge, decide if your dissatisfaction with the areola size justifies the risks associated with the procedure.

Areola reduction scarring

+1

The way you scar after an areola reduction depends mostly on two things:  1) your personal scarring history (some darker skinned individuals are prone to keloid formation) and 2) the degree of tension on the closure.  As long as you do not have a personal history of keloid formation, and there is no large implant being placed that will place the areola on significant tension, you should heal just fine!

B. Aviva Preminger, MD

Areolar scars generally heal quite well

+1

The scars from an areolar reduction usually heal quite well because the skin is fairly thin. This may vary depending on a patient's ethnicity and skin tone, but the scar is ultimately partially camoflauged by the round border of the areola (circle).

William Bruno, MD

Areolar Reduction

+1

Areolar reduction scarring is determined by many factors.  These factors include, the skin laxity, tissue tension, surgical technique employed and the patients healing.   It is best to discuss these details with your surgeon.

Craig Mezrow, MS, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon