Areola asymmetry. Is it worth fixing it? (Photo)

Hello, Due to one of my chest walls protruding, my aereola (shown on the right) sticks out differently than the other (this pic is taken 10 months after my BA with CC). I will be getting surgery for the CC and my PS also suggested to move the aereola on the left, higher up to match the one on the right. Do you think it will be worth it, meaning it will make my aereolas a little more symmetrical than they are now?

Areolar asymmetry

+1
If you are having an upcoming revisional surgery to remove the capsule and replace the implant, I would advise waiting to see how the areola position settles out before doing a revision of the areola position at the same time.  This gives your breast an opportunity to recover from the capsule removal and the areola position may settle down with time.  If after 6 months to 1 year, you are still not happy with the areola position, then a revision may be done in the office.  I would suggest that you consult in person with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options.

Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Breast

+1
Thank you for the picture.

I wouldn't recommend surgery. It would not help your areola be different because you don't have any skin laxity.

Dr. Campos

Jaime Campos Leon, MD

Asymmetric breasts

+1
I don't think it's worth the scars involved.  Every woman has some asymmetry of the breasts and it is often more noticeable after implant surgery.  I advise against surgery.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Breast/Areola Asymmetry

+1
If it bothers you and you are already undergoing surgery then it may be worth it to have it fixed.  What it really comes down to is how much it bothers you when you look at yourself in the mirror.

Areola asymmetry is a fairly simple procedure to do and can commonly be done in the office setting under local anesthesia.

Hope that helps.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Areola asymmetry. Is it worth fixing it?

+1
Yes, assuming your plastic surgeon can demonstrate significant experience helping patients in your situation with revisionary breast surgery, I think that improving the breast/areola asymmetry will be “worth it”. Make sure that you communicate your concerns and goals with your plastic surgeon prior to proceeding. Best wishes

+1
If the positioning bothers you, then I would think you should have it corrected at the time of your other surgery. The differences seem significant currently.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Breast augmentation

+1
If it bothers you it would be worth doing. it is a small procedure, but will add a scar to the front of the breast. Do you make good scars? if not carefully consider...

Joseph A. Russo, MD
Newton Plastic Surgeon