Can I Do Aerobic Activity 6 Weeks After Abdominal Liposuction if I Am Still Swollen?

I am interested to know if I can do aerobic activity such as running 6 weeks after abdominal liposuction if I am still swollen. Also, can I lift weights 6 weeks post op. if I am still swollen? Also, how long do I have to wait to go in the ocean to avoid an infection?

Activity, exercise, weight lifting and swimming in the ocean 6 weeks after liposuction

The answers to this depend on each unique situtation and while the answers to this are typically yea at 6 weeks, it would be best to ask your surgeon.

880 W Central Rd
Arlington Heights, IL 60005

Exercise and Swimming after liposuction

It is always best to follow your doctor's recommendations. However, in my experience, you should be able to go back to exercise. You might experience slightly more swelling, but this is unlikely to create a major concern unless you swell significantly every single time you exercise. In that case, you should wait a few more weeks. You should also be okay to go into the ocean.

Deason Dunagan, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

303 Williams Ave SW
Huntsville, AL 35801

Exercise After Liposuction

Usually some form of exercise can be started 6 weeks after liposuction.  If you are still swollen after 6 weeks it may not be advisable for you to start your exercise.  I would follow the advice of your surgeon of when it is best for YOU to start exercising.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS, FACS

2220 Wisteria Drive
Snellville, GA 30078

Exercise after liposuction

You must check with your surgeon for the final say as they know best how the surgery went and if there were any particular concerns. Furthermore, the insertion sites should have been healed weeks ago but they should make sure there is no infection or opening before you swim.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

317 East 34th St
New York, NY 10016