Advise on Revision Rhinoplasty - Can I Do It?

2007 – 1st closed techinque rhinoplasty with implant for bridge. 2010 – Revision done because slanted. After 1 week, incisions broke at site, implant seen by surgeon during checks. So complete removal. Now - 1) Go back to the SAME surgeon? 2) Should I not use implant? Is my cartilage is enough for bridge? 3) Another doc suggested open techinique, use cartilage for tip and silicone for bridge. Will same problem exposed implant happen? Anyway to be sure? I’m Asian. Experts, please help.

+1

I could tell in the first sentence that you'll do best with a few in person consultations as this is more complicated than a simple answer on this forum, IMHO.  Be sure that you consult with Rhinoplasty Surgeons that understand and follow the proper aesthetics of facial (and nasal) beauty for the creation of a naturally, more attractive nose and face.

Revision Rhinoplasty after Implant Removal

+1

The risks of the use of implants to augment the Asian nose include movement or extrusion of the implant. Unfortunately, you have experience both. That is why I have used cartilage grafts harvested from the patient's septum, ear, or rarely from the rib for the past 35 years. I prefer the open technique when doing a revision procedure, especially when grafts are necessary.

Asian Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

Whenever an implant is used, such as Silicone or Gore-Tex, there is a risk of the implant moving and also becoming infected. Even with careful surgical technique and antibiotic use, implants can become infected after surgery. Ideally, one would use your own material, such as cartilage, for any grafts. However, in some noses, especially in revision surgery, there may not be enough nasal cartilage to fix the structure of shape of the nose. Sometimes ear or rib cartilage can be used.

An open approach may offer a better approach to place grafts and accurately change the tip shape. The approach should depend on your nose and what needs to be done.

Gregory J. Vipond, MD, FRCSC
Inland Empire Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asian Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi,

After 2 attempts you might want to seek a second opinion. In my experience with ethnic rhinoplasty, see link below, the open rhinoplasty approach is superior. Recently, in several large studies of asian rhinoplasty it was shown that silicone implants work best when they are placed by a competent surgeon. Make sure your surgeon has experience with ethnic rhinoplasty.

Best.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Rhinoplasty

+1

I am sorry that you had exposure of your nasal implant.  You may want to consider other implants like rib or septal cartilage.  As for which surgeon, that is your choice.  It depends upon your comfort level with your doctor.