Need advise as to what direction to take for under eye lumps from fat transfer?

I had a neck lift, breast revision and the surgeon chose to add my own fat to the mid face around the nose and under the eyes. I am very pleased with my neck and breasts but feel my eyes were my best asset ,and now I have lumps under the eyes that I never had before. It has been over 9 weeks now and I have followed my surgeons advise. Gentle massage. It just seems to make it worst. It has a different colour to the rest of my face. My eyes have always been my attraction. Please help me

Fat Transfer

+1

Fat transfer to the face and especially to the tear trough is very delicate procedure. The fat needs to be a very small globules, where it should be suctioned by a very fine cannula to get the fine fat globules. Then cleaned, sieved to remove the fluid and fibrous tissue and centrifuged. This pure fat is then injected in small, micro packets into the lower lids tear trough.

Initially there is a healing period of the transplanted fat associated with swelling, which is part of the healing process. During that time there is swelling, appearance of over correction, and bruising. Healing should be complete by 6-12 weeks.

If there are lumps of fat after complete healing then the only way to remove the lumps is surgical removal. This may leave some irregularities and will require some sort of correction. Steroid injections can decrease inflammation, but dissolve fat at a variable rate and may leave dents and irregularities.

Samir Shureih MD. FACS

sshureih@msn.com

The fat transferred to the eye area will often be slow to heal.

+1

However, at 9 weeks I would expect it to be pretty smooth. Massage can help, as will warm compresses. The color may be off due to the swelling or any residual bruising. If the lumps persist, you may want to try Ulthera, which is deep ultrasound treatment which I have found works well to soften any type of nodules under the skin. There are also anti-inflammatory injections that your surgeon may want to try to soften the lumps.

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon