Is It Advisable to Get my Goretex Implant (Rhinoplasty) Removed? I'm Afraid of Getting an Infection in the Years to Come.

I am an asian woman on my late 20s from NY and i had a rhinoplasty with goretex implant done in 2012. I was convinced by my surgeon during my consultation to get the goretex and i impulsively agreed without doing much research. I am pretty much happy with the result (after the revision) but i'm afraid of the impending risk of infection. I frequently get dental infections and needs dental works. would this increase my risk? should i get the implant removed before the infection occurs?

Gortex nasal implants

+2

While gortex is not my first choice for a nasal implant, I would hesitate to remove it if you have a good result and are happy. Yes, there is always a risk of infection with it, but I would hesitate to remove it if things are OK.

Gortex Nasal Implant

+2

Hi,

I dont think you have to worry about the implant getting infected at this time and I would not recommend removing it especially if your happy with the results. Gortex has been shown to be a reliable material for nasal augmentation.

Dr.S.

Web reference: http://www.africanamericanrhinoplasty.com/new-york-city-nasal-augmentation.htm

Rhinoplasty augmentation

+2

Hi,

I would not recommend getting the implant removed.  The risk of infection of the implant is pretty small after the initial healing period so if you like the way it looks, then just leave it alone.  Signs of infection include redness, swelling, tenderness, and warmth in the area.  Getting dental infections shouldn't be an issue, it is a little rare to have repeated dental infections and your dentist should be able to find a way to avoid recurrent infections in the future.

Nima Shemirani

Removing Gortex Nasal Implant

+1

If you like the result I would not remove the Gortex implant. Fortunately you are aware of this possible complication; if you see any changes in the future immediately consult with your surgeon.

Gortex Nasal Implant & Infections

+1

Dear MJM,

Congratulations on good results.

Since you are happy with the results you got from your surgery, I encourage you to think twice before you remove your implant to eliminate minimal risks of nasal infections especially that you are doing well with it.

Please keep in mind that undergoing surgery has its own risks of infection as well.

Best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Web reference: http://www.DrSajjadian.com

GoreTex (ePTFE) nasal implants have a good record of favorable long-term outcomes.

+1

If you're happy with the aesthetics of your nasal augmentation, it may be best to leave your GoreTex implant in place. The likelihood of developing an infection over many years is less than 5%. In that regard, it may not be worth it to undergo another nasal operation, especially since GoreTex is easier to place than to remove.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Joseph

Web reference: http://ericmjoseph.com/index.cfm/PageID/4044

West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Removal of Nasal Implant??

+1

There is no reason to remove the Gore-tex from your nose without an existing problem and with a good result. The risk of infection in soft small or even medium-sized dorsal implants is within the first few months after surgery. Once past this point, unless the implant is over-sized, the risk of infection is very minimal. You would be well served to leave a good thing alone.

Web reference: http://www.eppleyrhinoplasty.com