Is It Possible/advisable to Combine a Tummy Tuck with a Prolapse Repair, Giving Only One Anesthetic and One Period of Down Time?

+2

Opinions on combining a TT with intra-abdominal procedures vary greatly and overall it is a controversial issue.  Personally I have carried out many TT procedures on patients undergoing different intra-abdominal/pelvic procedures, e.g. hysterectomy, myomectomy, bladder prolapse repair, etc. and never had any complications.  You need to be certain that your surgeon is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and experienced in this particular area.  Plus, your surgery needs to be done at a hospital, this is not your routine outpatient surgery which can be done at an outpatient surgery facility.

Prolapse surgery and abdominoplasty

+2

I have performed this combination a number of times,  usually for uterine or bladder prolapse. However, it should be individualized and closely coordinated between your plastic surgeon and gynecologist. There is overall a higher risk of DVT and pulmonary embolism with pelvic surgeries combined when with abdominoplasty. Anti-thrombotic provision should be instituted with  early ambulation if advisable for the prolapse repair. The length of the combined procedure should be considered with close coordination to reduce the anesthesia time. In addition, I always make plans for an intra-operative opt-out if safety is at issue.

Robin T.W. Yuan, M.D. 

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Combining prolapse and tummy tuck procedures

+2

Depending on the type of prolapse procedure you are having and the amount of time that the gynecologist and your plastic surgeon will need to complete each portion (ideally a combined time less than 5 hours), this combination can be performed successfully and safely. Safety is the key. When possible, it is nice to have one operation and one healing period, but you do not want to jeopardize your health and safety. If both surgeons feel that you are a candidate for this combination, then that's great for you and good luck. 

Shannon O'Brien, MD

Gynecologic procedures can be combined with elective abdominoplasty.

+2

The answer to your specific question is "it depends". Whether or not you are a good candidate will depend upon the opinion of the plastic surgeon and the gynecologist. In general, these types of combination procedures are permissible on properly selected patients.

Combine a Tummy Tuck with a Prolapse Repair

+2

There is not quite enough info here. What type of prolapse repair--uterus or colon? What type of repair-open, transvaginal, laparoscopic?

This is an area of some controversy, and expect various opinions. Complication rates seem higher with combined surgery. If the prolapse surgery and the TT could be expected to last over 4 hours, I would prefer doing the procedure separately.

All the best.