Is It Ok to Take Painkillers Before Waxing?

I've had some people tell me to take ibuprofin or acetomenphin before I get waxed.... but I've had other aestheticians tell me not to because I might bleed more.

What is the truth??

Bikini Wax

+1
If you are concerned about comfort, don't wax at all. Laser hair removal, when performed in a medical facility with the right laser is much safer, much more comfortable than waxing, and it's permanent.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Pain killers and waxing

+1

The safer choice would be acetaminophen, but either will work just fine.  To avoid any major pain, make sure your hair is trimmed and about 1/4 inch in length to ensure no excessive "pulling" is needed.  That will help your technician wax easier and faster, which will in return ease your pain. Good luck!

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Safe to take pain medication before waxing

+1

Tylenol is a safe choice, but so is ibuprofen. There should not be any immediate risk of even small bleeding from ibuprofen taken immediately before waxing. Ibuprofen and other like substances known as NSAIDs take time to create an effect in the clotting cascade and on the surface of platelets, requiring days of intake before they can promote bleeding.

Leyda Elizabeth Bowes, MD
Miami Dermatologic Surgeon

Pain Medication Before Waxing

+1

Bleeding from waxing treatments is usually minimal, if at all, so it really doesn't matter which pain medication you take before being treated. Acetaminophen does not prolong bleeding time so it would always be the better choice if you're concerned.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Pain management for Hair Removal

+1

Prior to waxing or any other procedure, acetaminophen would be the better choice to help reduce the pain a little.  Ibuprofen may increase the risk of bleeding and we ask patients to avoid ibuprofen prior to procedures.  We typically use topical lidocaine in sensitive areas for laser hair removal.  Your physician may be willing to prescribe you topical lidocaine for your hair waxing procedures.

Narin (Dr.Joe) Apisarnthanarax, MD
Houston Dermatologist

Painkiller can help take the edge off

+1
Bleeding from waxing? That's hardcore!! Not only can ibuprofen or any of th NSAIDs take off the edge, they can also decrease the redness associated. Topical anesthesia with lidocaine 4% can also help take the edge off. Application should be made 45min prior. If redness occurs, a low dose steroid cream (hydrocortison 1%) helps too.

Hassan Galadari, MD
Dubai Dermatologist