Healing & makeup on scars 2.5 weeks after blepharoplasty (photos)

It is 2.5 weeks since I had upper and lower blepharoplasty. Overall I am pleased with my scar lines, although they are pink I realise it's early days and they will fade with time. The most obvious place to notice my scars is to the sides of my eyes (see photographs). Am I safe to wear some makeup over these scar lines to disguise them? I don't want to limit the healing process by doing anything which could irritate them or slow the healing down. I would really appreciate some advice. Thank you!

Postop after upper and lower blepharoplasty

Thanks for your inquiry. If you are happy with your results, and no major complications occurred, then congratulations! you've had successful eyelid surgery, and you should be grateful. From your pictures it is easy to see that some of the scars, especially the lower ones, are still red. But that is completely normal given the time frame, being so early after surgery. This incision, compared to the upper one, is more likely to show, mainly because the anatomical considerations, without a natural fold to hide it in. If your surgeon approves, you can definitely use light and non-irritating make up to soften the scars and diminish the attention paid to them. In general, though, you look good and appropriate. Good luck with the rest of the recovery, and definitely stay in good communication with your surgeon. All the best. 

Makeup after bleph

At this time, you should be okay applying makeup. Just make sure you apply and remove it very gently to minimize any tension on the scars.

Ask your surgeon but it may be okay

I generally advise patients not wear make-up  for the first two weeks after surgery. When you start putting on makeup again, don't use any products that are very dark because pigments can permanently darken incision lines.  However, it's best to ask your surgeon because they might have different advice.

Healing and makeup on scars 2.5 weeks after blepharoplasty.

at this point it is safe to use cover up on your scars. The risk is getting makeup and having a tattoo like reaction in the scar. However, at this point, the incisions should be closed.

Suzanne Kim Doud Galli, MD, PhD, FACS
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

I agree with the others.

Wearing make up should not be a problem.  You need to do a little experimenting with the changed eyelid shape to determine the most effective means of applying your make up.  The scar seem very good and your skin is very fair.  This generally suggests that your scars are likely to be very inconspicuous once you are fully healed.

Makeup is safe to wear two weeks after eyelid surgery.

I'm speaking on behalf of my own patients but I don't see any problem using makeup two weeks after eyelid surgery. Nevertheless, you need to clear this with your own plastic surgeon.

Healing & makeup on scars 2.5 weeks after blepharoplasty

Your photos show that you are healing nicely.  It  can take weeks to months for the scars to fade and mature.  Covering them with makeup will not slow the healing.   You appear to have an excellent result.  Best wishes!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Make-up on lid incisions

should be tolerated but it should also be make-up that is easy to apply and remove and won't take much rubbing to remove.  And since you're in the acute post-op phase, this is something you should always clear with your surgeon since your surgeon will be dealing with any issues that may arise for your applying make-up.  By the way, your scar should heal great!

Curtis Wong, MD