Laser or Abdominoplasty for Minimal Skin Laxity on Upper Abs? (photo)

Hello, I am 29 years old. I was chubby as a child. With diet & excercise I lost the weight My lower abs are very tight. I have been to a couple surgeons and they tell me that its not worth getting fixed due to the scarring it will leave, but to come back after I have children. It really bothers me and Im not sure what to do Would lasers work for me, since abdominoplasty would be too extreme?? Btw i cant get pregnant i have reproductive issues. If you can offer any advice I'd surely appreciate it

Upper abdominal loose skin - what to do?

+2

Don't do either laser or a tummy tuck.

In your middle photo, you are just standing there, and you look great. You don't need the big long scar for the tummy tuck, it will not look as good as you do now. As for laser, only the radiofrequency lasers really tighten skin (accent or Thermage, some say Ultrasonix but I'm not so sure), and in your case I don't think you would see a big difference. Save your money!

Lasers or skin excision

+2

It certainly looks like from your photos that you have significant lax skin.  I use the skin tightening lasers, and I think your laxity is too great to see significant improvement.

Tummy tuck versus laser

+2

I agree, laser will not make a difference with your skin.  If you want the loose skin removed, then  you would need a full tummy tuck / abdominoplasty.  If you have separation of the muscles (diastasis) then you can have muscle plication performed at the same time.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

No way do you need surgery

+1

You really only could use very modest treatments for tightening I think. Anything else is overkill. The radiofrequency devices (RF) like Excilis, Thermage, Vela-Shape, etc... would be something you could consider that's modestly priced, with no downtime, that is somewhat effective in tightening.

Robert Oliver Jr., MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck or laser

+1

The amount of skin that you have would not respond to laser treatments. You would obtain a far better result by having a tummy tuck. If the muscle layer is tight you can have a tummy tuck that removes only the skin and fat and not have the extended recovery associated with the muscle tightening procedure.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon