I Need Some Advice on my Nose Job. ...Did I Get a Bad Nose Job?

I got my primary septoplasty and rhinoplasty with nostril reduction done 6 months ago with a top NY plastic surgeon (I live out of state). Right after my nose job, my lower lateral area looked asymmetric. One alar sidewall curves out and the other seemed to not curve at all. My nose is distracting; it seems to get all the attention when I am talking with clients. Any advice on what I should tell my doctor when I go see him in NY next month? How can this be fixed?

Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

The root cause of the assymetry of your nose is an over-resection of the right nasal ala.  This is pulling all of the rest of your cartilage out of alignment.  Here is your problem: the correction of any over-resection rhinoplasty result is to add tissue back, preferably with like tissue.  Unfortunately, there is really no great match for alar tissue so you will be trading an aesthetic skin mismatch for your nasal assymetry.  You need to decide if it is worth it.

Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Unhappy with Rhinoplasty result.

+1

I think your best bet is to have this conversation with your Rhinopl;asty surgeon during your next meeting.  I have performed Rhinoplasty for over 20 years and see many patients for revision surgery.  I tell them that it's always in the patients best interest to have the original surgeon take care of them...both mentally and financially it's their best option.  Hope this helps.

You should always keep revision rhinoplasty as a last resort.

+1

I read your concerns and reviewed your limited-view-photos:

The good news is that your nose looks best on your frontal view. Your nostril asymmetry seen on your base view is least important, as people rarely view you from this angle.

You have slight tip asymmetry when you smile: your supra-alar crease is deeper on your right. I have seen good results dealing with minor tip asymmetries using Silikon-1000, an off-label filler for permanent results.

It's difficult to provide further advice based on the limited photos you posted.

Good luck with your doc next month. See what he says about your concerns, and then consider getting a second opinion from another reputable rhinoplasty specialist so you can decide what would be best for you.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Regards from NJ.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon