Do I Need a Mini Tummy Tuck or a Liposuction?

Im 27 years old, 5'1, small built and my ideal weight is 105 lbs, after my 2nd baby my belly blew up and gotten stretch marks that i never had from my 1st pregnancy, im very unhappy with the way my body turned out, after a year and a half ive gained 20 lbs and i still look like im pregnant and i work out 2-3 days a week and still not losing weight, what should i do?

Mini does Mini in the Tummy Tuck World.

+2

You need a full well done tummy tuck by an ABPS certified surgeon.   Remember....MINI DOES MINI.   You need a standard abdominoplasty........skin...muscle...umbilical transfer...some lipo....the works...  Do not waste you time and money with a timid almost useless procedure that will possibly leave you wrinkled and unhappy.   Patients seek tiny for big gain.  Doesnt usually work.  Get 3 opinions for ABPS surgeons and learn.  There is no rush.  Take a year or two to decide.  Talk to a few people who jhave had surgery.  Some will share and do a show and tell.   Happy valentines Day and Best of Luck.  Dr Commons

Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Mini Tummy Tuck

+1

Liposuction is rarely the best way to deal with stretch marks.  They prevent the skin from retracting the way it did when there were no stretch marks.  I would venture to say your options are between a full TT or a mini TT.  If the muscle is separated above your BB, then you will need a full TT.  Lipo will not address the muscle, and many women do not have a lot of fat with the bulge, it is just a loose muscle in need of repair.  See a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for this surgical option.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Mini or full tummy tuck?

+1

Based on your description I do not think you are a candidate for liposuction alone. You are probably not a candidate for mini tummy tuck surgery either.

In my opinion, for example,the mini tummy talk is an  operation that  produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.

For most patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. Of course, there are downsides (including a longer scar and probably a longer recovery time) but for most patients the benefits outweigh the downsides. It is not unusual to see patients who've had mini tummy tuck  surgery present for  revisionary surgery.

For some patients an area of concern may be the “muffin top” (flank or lower back skin and adipose tissue).Treatment of the stubborn muffin top involves excision (lipectomy) of excess skin and adipose tissue. Liposuction  surgery alone  will potentially leave you with loose skin and an  unsatisfactory result.

Mini tummy tuck or liposuction

+1

The question concerning tummy tuck begins with an assessment of the laxity in the abdominal skin. Liposuction will contour the abdomen though sometimes at the price of further skin laxity. Based on your photos you have a lower abdominal fold which would best respond to a full tummy tuck, with liposuction over the hip. Your first step is weight control.

peterejohnsonmd

Tummy tuck options vs liposuction

+1

While no one can offer a specific opinion based only on a photo, I would be very surprised if you were offrered a mini tummy tuck or liposuction alone from what I see. Lipo is an option when there is minimal to no skin laxity, even with laser. A mini works when there is skin laxity only in the lower part of the abdomen but not very much.

Richard Baxter, MD

Mini tummy tuck versus a full tummy tuck

+1

Without providing a side view (and, of course, an examination) a full perspective cna't be obtained. However, it appears that at minimum you would require a full tummy tuck and not a mini-tuck. There is too much and diffuse lax skin which would not be addressed with the limited mini tummy tuck.

Liposuction for the surrounding areas may also be beneficial.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Mini-tummy tuck not the answer

+1

If you do anything, consider a tummy tuck and liposuction, not a mini-tummy tuck and not liposuction alone. The results of the lesser procedures will be unlikely to give good results.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Ohio Plastic Surgeon

Best approach to abdomen: tummy tuck vs liposuction

+1

Based on your photo shown I would actually recommend a full tummy tuck with liposuction of the flanks (love handles).  It appears that you have sufficient loose skin to perform a full tummy tuck which will give a better outcome than a mini-tummy tuck.  The difference in the length of the scars is not that significant between the two procedures.  A full tummy tuck will also allow for a more complete tightening of your abdominal muscles.

Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon for a complete examination and review of your medical history to determine the best surgical plan.

Dr. Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Liposuction can be a useful adjunct to a mini-tummy tuck

+1

Thanks for your question and photo.  It appears as though you're an excellent candidate for either liposuction with a mini-tummy tuck or a standard tummy tuck.  However, it's hard to give you a more exact answer without actually examining you.  Liposuction with a mini-tummy tuck allows your plastic surgeon to remove fat from the abdomen and hips along with removal of some of the skin below your belly button with the mini-tummy tuck.  If you have looseness of your abdominal muscles, you may want to consider a standard (full) tummy tuck as this allows a much better tightening of the muscles versus the mini-tummy tuck.  Good luck!

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck or Liposuction

+1

Cindy, I see many patients with this same question. Mini tuck vs full Tummy tuck vs Liposuction. The real answer really depends on your goals. Your Plastic surgeon should listen to your concerns, give you the correct information so that you can make an informed decision. Based on your photo, it appears that you have excess skin, stretch marks, and loose abdominal muscles. My opinion is that you will benefits from a full tummy tuck. A full tummy tuck will address the above issues. A mini tuck may not tighten your muscles, but will still give you some benefit depending on your goals.

Regardless of the situation, make sure you see a cosmetic surgeon who is a board certified Plastic surgeon, not just a "board certified physician". Ask them, board certified in what? Anyone can claim to be a cosmetic surgeon without adequate surgical training. Its your body. Take the time and do your research well.

Stanley Okoro, MD