Advice on Flying with Abdominal Binder Post Lipo? (photo)

I had lipo on my chest, abdomen, flanks, and back three weeks ago. Per surgeon's advice, I've been wearing abdominal binder straps (which cover the area) on an off-on schedule (on ~90 minutes, off ~30 minutes) to create a "pump" effect and "keep the result we had on the operating table" and also reduce swelling. I still have one area that's swollen (he says there was more fibrous fat there). In a couple days I'll be on a series of long flights. How do you deal with binders on a plane?

Binders on Flights

+1

I would recommend that you discuss this with your plastic surgeon, as I normally recommend the garments stay on 24/7.  I would also recommend getting out of your seat and stretching your legs every hour or two while on the plane.

Flying and abdominal binders

+1

It is really a discussion that you should have with your surgeon regarding how long to wear it and how to handle the flight.

Flying and compression garments

+1

Without more details, it is hard to answer. Flying exposes the body to lower atmospheric pressures, which leads to increased swelling. If you still have swelling, you may be better off wearing the garments during the filght. The recommended amount of time that compression garments are worn depends on your Plastic Surgeon, so you should ask your Plastic Surgeon for the best answer.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon