Advice Desperately Needed! Juvederm Nightmare? (photo)

I got my Juvederm Monday and this is how my mouth looks open. My dr. insisted yesterday that it is normal and will go away in time. I am freaking out and do not know what to do. She suggested waiting the full 7 days and she will remove if I'm still unhappy. However, she admitted she never removed from the lips before. I am petrified she will remove and I will look more uneven. PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME!

Juvederm to lips and dissatisfaction

+1

I would wait the full two weeks and use Hyaluronidase if still unhappy. If the physician is not comfortable doing so, visit a physician who is. Best of luck!

Advice Desperately Needed! Juvederm Nightmare?

+1

Wait at least 2 weeks after injection as this could be resolving swelling or bruising.  Enzymatic degrading as well as additional filler can be performed at that time.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Give it a litte more time!

+1

Dear Rialove80,

I would suggest that you give it at least another week to settle down before considering removing the Juvederm with enzyme.  I usually have my patients come back after two weeks for re-evaluation of lip injections.  You can try icing the lips and even putting some moisturizer on the lip and doing a gentle massage to try to even the filler out.  

Kian Karimi, MD, FACS

Lumps of Juvederm in Lips

+1

Please remain calm and heed the advice of the other doctors on here, and your injecting doctor. Make sure you are keeping your hands away from your mouth, and not pressing on the lumps. You can actually move fillers around, especially within the first few days you have them. Keep your hands away from the area. While I see the lumps, they look very normal. The lips can swell greatly from the injections themselves, and there is some swelling around the injected Juvederm as well. Let things settle down. Then assess. But really, I won't be worried. Hyaluronidase can be used, if needed. But let the initial injections calm down before you worry.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Good news about Juvederm in the lips

+1

As difficult as it may be, I would encourage you to hang in there and wait a little while.  Some swelling is expected after any filler injection in the lips.  This usually reaches its maximum after 48 hours and then improves from there.  It can take up to 2 weeks to settle down, although 4 of 5 patients feel fine about going out after 2-3 days.   

If your only complaint is when you have your mouth open, then as long as your don't walk around like that, you should be fine.  :)  Since very few people will see your mouth open like that, very few will notice.  You can try taking some arnica montana (an herbal extract) to help speed the recovery.  Follow the directions on the bottle.  In the future, consider using arnica starting before the injection to help prevent the swelling.

If you have an experienced injector, your results should be fine.  However, if you get 2 weeks out and are still unhappy with the results, take heart.  Juvederm can be dissolved in the lips (and anywhere else it is used).  I have corrected lip augmentations done by other injectors  in the lips without any problems.

Michael Bowman, MD
Montgomery Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm to Lips

+1

It is very typical after hyaluronic acid fillers, such as Juvederm, for there to be temporary swelling and visible or palpable irregularities of the lips for several days to a week after injection.  It is very difficult to tell from your photo exactly what is wrong in your case, but I think your physician's advice is sound.

I have used hyaluronidase to dissolve Juvederm placed overaggressively in the lips (done by other injectors), and it does not result in any uneveness if there was none before.

I like Juvederm Ultra for the lips, as it gives a smoother and more even result, and I reserve Juvederm Ultra Plus for areas needing deeper fill (such as nasolabial folds).

James Bartels, MD
Manchester Facial Plastic Surgeon

What is bothering you exactly?

+1

First, the mouth open picture does not show the effect that the injection was used for. We need to see a picture of your mouth closed and at rest. And please let us know exactly what is bothering you because it is not entirely clear from the photo.

Juvederm can be dissolved from the lip just like anywhere else in the face.

Jeffrey Schiller, MD
Staten Island Oculoplastic Surgeon

Patience

+1

Your doctor is right. I would wait at least 2 weeks. Taking photos of your mouth open and holding it open is an unnaturalposition. More importantly you should evaluate in a natural position. Good luck 

Manolis Manolakakis, DMD
Middletown Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Juvederm

+1

Dear patient, I don't know how much Juvederm was applied and which type was used. I do see a few irregularities. Some of the swelling may be due to small areas ob deep bleeding. these will resolve quite quickly. I also believe that these can be massaged out. As your doctor about ice, massage, and therapeutic ultrasound treatments. I believe that it will even out over 2-3 weeks. Removal with dilute Kenelog shots or Hyaluronidase is an option but rarely necessary. Arnica is also helpful. It is anti-inflammatory and decrease any swelling from the actual injections

A. David Rahimi, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologist