Need Some Advice After Facial Trauma?

male medical student - was applying in the match for last year, had to withdraw because of some personal issues. very bothered after facial trauma that I sustained in late 2011. nasal fracture, zygomatic arch fracture, and basilar skull frature - mastoid area to be precise I believe. left eye lid is lower than the right, smile line is slightly uneven. may have had facial nerve damage where it exits the skull? I can forward pictures but cannot have them on internet.

Facial Trauma and All Its Problems

+1

I am sorry to hear of your problems.  You must now select one maxillofacial plastic surgeon that can work with you in all of these areas.   My recommendation would be Dr Stephen Schendel who is located in Palo Alto and Beverly Hills part time.  Steve was the Chairman of Plastic Surgery and is as great all around caring human being.   Steve is a DDS and MD and both a oral surgeon and plastic surgeon.   I think either Steve or his equal in your local area is the way to go.  You will be fine.  Just hang in there and be determined.  My Best,   Dr C

Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Facial Trauma

+1

Recommend you see Dr. Bahman Guyuron. Chair Deparment of Plastic Surgery. Case Western Reserve University. Cleveland OH

Facial reconstructive surgery

+1

I am so sorry to hear of your plight. This is not a quick fix scenario. You'll need to see several plastic surgeons, facial plastic surgeons and dermatologists to get the best result

Barry Lycka, MD
Edmonton Dermatologic Surgeon

Advice after Facial Trauma?

+1

I am  sorry to hear about the trauma you have experienced. You will be best off seeking consultation with well experienced craniofacial surgeons. Depending on the nature of your “personal problems”, counseling may also be indicated.  You will find, that these in-person consultations, will be much for helpful to than  advice you will receive online.

Best wishes;  hopefully you will be able to receive the help you are looking for and continue  your medical training as soon as possible.

In need of reconstructive facial surgery

+1

Sounds like you need to be evaluated by a craniofacial / maxillofacial surgeon, this can be either an oral surgeon or plastic surgeon.  If you are at a large university there should be a department and service available to evaluate your situation and make recommendations for reconstructive surgery.  

Many Options

+1

Although it is hard to assess the extent of your injuries from your post alone, multiple options exist for treating facial fractures and facial nerve injuries, even months or years after the initial trauma. I would definitely recommend seeking treatment at practice or center with experience treating facial trauma and/or facial nerve injuries (especially as  comprehensive facial nerve rehabilitation often involves a "multi-disciplinary" approach). 

Joshua Rosenberg, MD