Advice For After a Breast Augmentation Surgery, Recuperation, Pain, Etc.

Hello, Im getting breast augmentation in 2 weeks. im extremely scare. I have talked to several friends and some have told me that is not that bad and that they will do it again and some tell me they will never do it again because of the pain but glad they did it. I honestly want to know the truth so i can be prepare. How long will it take to recuperate and get back to my normal activity? is the pain intense? How long will the pain last? Will i feel the implant weir until i get use to it?

Recovery from breast augmentation

+2

Everyone ehals differently, but most people go back to their daily routine within about a week.   Exercise and weight lifting have to be put off for several weeks.

Postoperative pain/recovery from breast augmentation.

+2

The recovery after breast augmentation is typically well tolerated. Each individual patient will have a different response to pain. Recovery typically takes one to two weeks but the pain subsides in the first several days. Narcotic pain medications are usually used sparingly while muscle relaxants can have a significant improvement in your symptoms if the implants are under the muscle.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

No Standard Recuperation Following Breast Augmentation

+2

There is no way really to answer your question.  The pain factor varies very widely among different individuals.  Some women will be off narcotic pain medications after a day or two while others will still be taking these medications a couple of weeks following their surgery.  In addition to pain meds, I place all patients on both Celebrex and a muscle relaxant which I feel decreases the pain medication needs.

John Whitt, MD

Breast augmentation and postop pain

+2

The pain after breast augmentation is usually not very severe. Most my patients no longer need pain medicine after 2nd 3rd or 4th postoperative day depending on the patient.

The location of the implant, the size of the implant and the amount of swelling that takes place after surgery can cause one person to have more pain than another. But in general augmentations are much less painful than other cosmetic surgery procedures.

Most my patients will take 5 to 7 days off of work. It would do no exercise for 2 to 3 weeks. At that time they will start walking or light treadmill level of activity. It will be 4 weeks to 6 weeks before heavy exercise with the arms.

Wendell Perry, MD

Breast Augmentation recovery

+2

Recovery really depends upon a number of factors including your age, whether you have had children, what size implant you require, the technique the surgeon uses, and medications used. In our practice, we have found that most patients are able to return to work within 48 hours using a transaxillary (armpit) incision, perioperative Robaxin (a muscle relaxant), intraoperative pocket irrigation with a long acting anesthetic and minimal postoperative narcotic. 

Marc Schneider, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation Surgery

+2

It is normal to be excited and nervous prior to surgery.  The reason you are getting different information from different people is because EVERYONE's experience is different.  There may be discomfort due to the implant being placed under the muscle and sometimes patients have a "tightness" feeling but on average, after the first 3- 4 days, most patients are feeling fine. I am sure you will be fine with your recovery .

Good Luck!