What Adverse Rx Occur W EtoH Trt of Abdominal Seroma (200 Ml Size)? I Am 8 Wks Past DIEP?

An abdominal seroma below my incision, crosses the midline has causes a prominent bulge in my lower abdomen for 7+weeks after DIEP surgery. This causes constant discomfort. It was drained by ultrasound guided catheter and yielded 200 mls. Now they propose alcohol trt. How debilitating would scar tissue in this large area be? (It’s ~8" wide x 4" tall). What is the literature on adverse responses?

Breast reconstruction

+1
When you are getting your revision if needed for your breast a scar revision of this area can be performed.

Three basic forms of breast reconstruction exist. You can use your own tissue, implants or a combination of the previous two techniques. Your own tissue can be used in the form of the DIEP flap, PAP flap, SGAP flap or fat grafting. Implants can be done in one stage or two stage. Two stage reconstructions are started by placing expanders at the time of mastectomy. Once they expanders are placed they are able to be inflated as determined by wound healing. The final time consists of combining any of the above techniques.

If you are interested in being seen in Austin please give us a call. I know this is a difficult time for you. The majority of my practice is devoted to reconstruction for women with breast cancer or who are BRCA+

Sclerosis of seroma cavity

+1

With a seroma that has persisted for this long, it is common for recurrence unless something can be done to close off the walled cavity that has formed. Sclerosis is the primary non-surgical approach. 

However this gets resolved, there will be scar tissue, and there is no reason to think that the use of alcohol will make the scarring any different from alternative sclerosing agents (betadine, tetracycline, for example) or from open surgery to remove the cavity walls.

Thanks for the question, best wishes.