Adverse Effects of Liposculpture on Pregnancy?

This is a tough one! I had Liposculpture on 4/20/09 on my whole stomach area, upper and lower abdomen and my lower and middle back. Afterwards I had synergy massages, but had to stop because I just found out I am 7 weeks pregnant!

This is a big surprise. I got pregnant just shortly after the procedure. Does the fluid still in my body or the short time period between surgery and conception have any negative effects to the fetus? I am doing my research, please help!

Pregnancy Shortly After Surgery

+1

Since conception  happened after  the procedure I do not think you have much to worry about. The residual fluid and the possibility of a small amount of residual medication probably will be inconsequential.

Best wishes for a healthy pregnancy.

Liposculpture/liposuction and unrecognized pregnancy

+1

The primary concern is the drug exposure to the fetus during the first 8 weeks of pregnancy. Most of the local anesthetics are considered reasonably safe. However, there are other drugs that could be used during general anesthesia that could cause greater concern. You should notify your obstetrician who will monitor your pregnancy and order appropriate testing and evaluation of your child throughout the pregnancy and delivery. It will be very useful for your physician to get a copy of your operative record and anesthesia record to review the medications used.

Liposculpture and pregnancy

+1

Certified surgery centers such as MetropolitanMD perform pregnancy tests on the day of surgery in order to safeguard woman from inadvertent exposure to drugs which may harm a fetus. As the woman in question completed her procedure before having a procedure it is unlikely that the fetus could have any ill effects.

Edward Lack, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

You were very lucky not to receive surgery while pregnant

+1

This is the reason that for the patient's safety, in our practice, all women of child bearing age receive a pregnancy test before surgery.

It is unlikely that the fluid that was used during the liposuction will impact your pregnancy. Inform your surgeon of your pregnancy and ask which medications were used in the tumescent fluid for completeness sake. 

Congratulations on your pregnancy and your new baby!

Pat Pazmino, MD

Liposculpture pregnancy risks

+1

It's not the surgery that may be dangerous to your unborn child, it's the potential effects any medication you received or were taking that could possibly be a problem.  You had completed your procedure before becoming pregnant.  It is unlikely that your swelling alone would have any adverse effects, but check with you doctor to be sure.

Randy J. Buckspan, MD

Effects of Post-Lipsuction swelling on New Fetus?

+1

In all hospitals, for a woman to have surgery she must have a negative pregnancy test. This is done to avoid the POTENTIAL risk to an unrecognized pregnancy. I ASSUME that your test was negative at the time of your 4/2009 operation. Any operation SUBSEQUENT to that would NOT be affected by any medications given to you during the surgery NOR by the residual inflammatory fluid in your tissues which is gradually absorbed every day.

To be sure, I would consult with your OB but I really would not worry about it too much.

Dr. P. Aldea

Unknown, but probably not

+1

This is not an area in which there has been a lot of study to base conclusions, but you are probably OK. Certainly have the pregnancy properly evaluated by your Obstetrician.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon