Advantage of Dysport over BOTOX?

It sounds like it might last a little longer? Is it possible that folks who have built up a resistance to Botox might experience relief from Dysport?

Dysport will last longer than Botox

+6

Having injected over 1500 patients with Dysport over the past 5 years (I performed the clinical trials for this medication in the US), I can say that it lasts longer than Botox. I have patients who have tried both and love the Dysport and had remarkable results with it.

The drawback of Dysport is going to be that it acts a little more finicky than Botox and, for that reason, it may cause problems in untrained hands. This means that it is probably best to go to someone who either has good experience (not a medispa or someone who is just 'learning' to do these procedures).

Additionally, it may be that some patients use both Dysport and Botox to get the best results. Where Dysport is going to rock is the upper forehead area. I think it will take care of those pesky wrinkles on the upper forehead that didn't get treated with Botox.

It appears it will finally be available in late June or mid July, so we will have an option that is quicker onset, longer time of activity and hopefully less expensive. Yea!

Omaha Dermatologist

Botox and Dysport will be similar

+3

From what I am hearing from those doing the clinical research, I doubt there will much difference in longevity between Dysport and BOTOX.

There had been rumors that Dysport was more likely to diffuse further from the point of injection, but I do not think this has been proven true in the clinical studies done.

S. Randolph Waldman, MD
Lexington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Advantage of Dysport over Botox.

+2

The FDA trials show very similar efficacy rates and length of treatment duration.  The main difference is the onset of action is quicker than Botox.

Benjamin Bassichis, MD, FACS
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox vs Dysport; Coke vs Pepsi

+2

Both FDA approved botulinum toxins work well for dynamic wrinkles. The longevity of one vs the other depends on the dilution a cosmetic surgeon is using. Dysport may diffuse slightly more than Botox and would be a great consideration for crows feet or excessive sweating whereas Botox may allow for more precision which may be desirable for 11's between eyebrows. It's really a Coke vs Pepsi comparison.

William Ting, MD
Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon

Pros of Dysport

+2

Dysport is very similar to Botox.  The pros include a faster onset (1-3 days) versus (5 days to 14 days) for Botox. Dysport has a higher diffusion rate, which means it spreads out more.  The units needed for Botox and Dysport are not comparable.  Dysport may last a little longer than Botox.  I use both products and have happy patients who have received both Dysport and Botox.

Mandy Lynn Warthan, MD
Dallas Dermatologist

Advantages of Dysport over Botox

+2

Dysport is a close relative of Botox that may now be used in the United States. Some advantages to Dysport are a faster onset of action and that it may last a little bit longer than Botox. The amount of Dysport used is somewhat different than the amount of Botox used for the same area. For a great result, work with a board-certified plastic surgeon who will be able to advise you on the amount necessary for the area you are concerned with.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Dysport or Reloxin

+2

As of last week, Reloxin (Dysport) is scheduled to become available in my area (Newport Beach, CA) by July 2009. The only hold up will be in Customs for the actual release date.

I am hopeful the cost of Dysport to my patients will be lower that that of Botox -- actual release price coming soon.

Effect of both Reloxin and Botox appear similar so far. More answers will be gained with extended use.

David L. J. Wardle, MD

We will have to wait and see

+2

From my understanding, the FDA labeling for Dysport (it won't be called Reloxin after all) will not be significantly different from Botox. There are differences in the size of the molecules and there may be more diffusion from Dysport, which can be good or bad depending on the circumstances. The dosages will be very different and it is not a one to one conversion. It will take a few months for doctors to get the hang of this new product, but competition is always a good thing. In the end, I think people who were not 100% satisfied from Botox may decide to try Dysport and over time we will see which wins out.

Mary Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

Dysport over Botox

+1
Some patients do feel that Dysport may last longer than Botox.  With regards to resistance we do have our patients switch Botulinum Toxins if they feel that they are no longer getting a result with botox.  Talk with your provider about trying Dysport or Xeomin for better results.

Hannah Vargas, MD
Kansas City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dysport may last longer than Botox in some patients--but not all.

+1

Dysport kicks in about one week faster, and may last zero to a few weeks longer in some patients. Many patients tried Dysport once and felt it was too heavy, but in my experience, this is likely because the injector miscalculated the conversion and used too much Dysport , which may require more finesse and a more careful touch. Do not see an inexperienced injector. I recommend only board-certified dermatologists and plastic surgeons be giving these treatments, since we have the most training and experience with facial surgical anatomy.

Jessica J. Krant, MD, MPH