Adult with Fixed Brace, Worn for 4 Months So Far, 1 Tooth Has Become Sensitive and Wobbly, is This Ok??

Hi, I am 34 with a fixed brace and I have been wearing it for the past 4 months now, I have just begun to notice that a tooth on my right upper side has become sensitive and has a slight wobble, is this ok?? or is there fear of losing the tooth??

Tooth Mobility Question.

+2

I would recommend that you go and see your orthodontist right away and show him what the problem is.  Some mobility is not at all unusual and is expected but we don't want to have any more than necessary and  he might be able to change something to reduce the mobility as much as possible.  You are a part of the team too so whenever you see something that you think is unusual call your orthodontist and let him know.  We always appreciate knowing.

Phoenix Orthodontist

Adult braces, sensitive wobbly tooth?

+1

Hi, it's perfectly normal to have some teeth get more wobbly (mobile) than others during orthodontic treatment.  Usually the tooth in question may be biting harder against the opposing teeth when you bite down, because of the way it has moved.  By definition the teeth must get a little "loose" to move.  As long as your teeth and gums are healthy, you're not likely at all to lose the tooth...but please mention your concern to your treating dentist or orthodontist at your next visit...or call if you'd rather be seen sooner.

I was just thinking that maybe you mean something different by "fixed brace"...like an orthotic or biteguard maybe?  If so, please let us know so we can give a more accurate answer.

Chris Bowman, DDS
Charlotte Cosmetic Dentist

Mobility is Normal in Most Cases

+1

When moving teeth orthodontically, the forces applied to your teeth cause the bone to temporarily resorb on one side of the tooth while depositing on the other.  This is what allows the teeth to move through the bone.  A result of this is that the teeth frequently appear mobile during treatment. During orthodontic treatment it is important to keep your scheduled appointments with the orthodontist so that he/she can monitor this process for you.  It is also important to keep up with your routine check-ups and hygiene visits during this process as home care is more difficult while in braces.

That being said, if you are nervous about the mobility, call your orthodontist and talk to him about what you are experiencing.

Gary Nack, DDS
Philadelphia Cosmetic Dentist

Wobbley teeth

+1

It is very common in adults to have some teeth become "mobile" while they are moving. It is important to continue to see your general dentist for regular checkups, make sure to tell your Ortho at your next appointment or call if you are really worried.

If it lasts more than two weeks call. But in general don't worry it is very normal.

Jacqueline Demko, DDS, MSD
Chesterfield Orthodontist