Opinions on Plastic Surgery Ads / Discounts?

The low prices are SO tempting in the Advertisements on this site! Ex: CliniqueLipo/PacificLipo. I have had had expensive rhinoplasty and got a steal on breast augmentation (from recent discovery is really a crook "surgeon" in Tijuana, who THANKFULLY did a good job on myself and a few friends) I have been at both ends of the price range spectrum and I would like to save money like anybody else, but what is an honest opinion on surgeons/doctors offering coupons and such?

Price and reputable surgeons

+3

There are no generalities regarding price/discounts and reputable surgeons. Some reputable surgeons offer good prices and discounts, and some discounts are given by poor doctors. I always advice my patients to go with reputable doctors that they click with. If you can get a good price or discount great, but don't be lead into a doctor by only the price or discounts. You want to stack the odds in your favor, so go with reputation. Start at the top and work your way down.

Choose the best surgeon over choosing price ALWAYS

+3

I am not saying this to be self-serving in any way but rather to try to save you from the grief I just saw yesterday in 2 patients who had gone to the wrong doctors mostly over price issues and were destroyed in their results.  One had a totally uncorrectable abdomen and the other had extremely bottomed out breasts that are going to now run somehwere double the original cost to fix, if they can be fixed at all.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Discounts in Plastic Surgery

+3

Marketing has become more prevalent and much more aggressive in Plastic Surgery even prior to the recent recession. The insinuation of the corporate practice of Medicine in Plastic Surgery has, to some degree, made attempts to commodify a particular procedure or service.  Although it is possible to have a great result at a discounted price, it is also very possible that the discounting is related to the results/ reputation of the Surgeon or surgical company you are seeing.  For certain procedures which require refinement and skill, such as Rhinoplasty and Facelift, it is probably better to make your decision based on reputation and results than on price. Regardless of the coupon or the offer, make sure you are comfortable with the Surgeon prior to being "sold" on price.  Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Discounts and cosmetic plastic surgery

+2

I concur with Dr. Yuan's excellent summation. Price should not be the reason for selecting your surgeon. The surgeon is the critical issue and if he/she offers a discount, that is great.

Discounts in Plastic Surgery

+2

The reality of aesthetic surgery is that it is a very competitive market.  We as plastic surgeons compete not only with other surgeons, but also many other docs (some trained, some not) as well as nurses, estheticians, PA's etc.  One of the most frustrating things is that MANY consumers have no appreciation for the training and experience of a board certified surgeon.  I would love to be able to let my credentials and results be the only marketing I do, but as a businessman I have to bow to market pressures.  When someone can take a weekend course and compete with me, I have no choice but to offer specials.  We offer discounts on Botox and Filler for new and existing patients.  Those areas where a physician actually needs to have knowledge and skill to compete, we do not discount.  These services include surgery, liposuction, ablative laser treatments, etc.  That said, here are my tips.

1. Only choose someone who's credentials make sense. Don't have a non-surgeon doing your surgery. Don't have a family practitioner or radiologist doing your filler.
  2. Only choose a board certified physician.  This credential is difficult to obtain and guarantees a certain level of competency.
  3. Beware discounts that are out of line with the marketplace, especially for surgery.
  4. Never go to a physician that will only do the procedure in the back room of their office.  This is ALWAYS an indication that you are dealing with a crook.  Every respectable surgeon has credentials to operate at a hospital.
  5. Remember that this is YOUR body.  It some pretender ruins your face, would the money you saved be worth it?

Joseph Campanelli, MD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon