I am an adolescent, and I am looking for treatment of my dorsal hump? (photo)

My dorsal hump is constructed of cartilage and bone, and it really effects my self esteem. I have problems with depression and self inadequacy/ low self esteem. I feel like removing my dorsal hump may be a start to boosting the way I see myself physically. Every time I look in the mirror, all I see is my nose. I feel like it brings down my entire appearance. I was wondering if any doctors had recommendations for an adolescent seeking Rhinoplasty, or any information? Thanks!

Adolescent Rhinoplasty

+2

A rhinoplasty operation can be done to eliminate your hump. We usually recommend that young ladies wait until they are at least 15 or 16 years old. Depending on your age you will need your parent's consent.

Rhinoplasty

+2

Your dorsal hump can be removed through a rhinoplasty. Please talk to a therapist before you proceed. Thinking that a rhinoplasty is important in treating depression brings up a lot of issues that need to be addressed before any surgery. Good luck!

David Alessi, MD

I am an adolescent, and I am looking for treatment of my dorsal hump?

+2

The hump can be removed with a rhinoplasty in females usually at the age of 16 or so with a parent's consent.

Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

You Look Like An Excellent Candidate For Rhinoplasty.

+1
Hello SaraW:The most common thing that is done in rhinoplasty is removal of the hump or bump. Yes, it is composed of cartilage and bone. If you are having problems with self-esteem, it may be helpful to have the rhinoplasty, but no one can guarantee that rhinoplasty can solve all life problems. It is important to have a consultation so the surgeon can determine if you can be satisfied by the proposed procedure.Most young people unhappy about their noses are indeed gratified by the procedure and, often, it does make a big change in their lives, but there are other factors that generate happiness in life. So I think it is important to be honest with yourself about what some of the other issues may be.In any event, do have consultations, spend time with surgeons who have long experience and high-degrees of specialization doing rhinoplasties, do have computer imaging at the consultation so you can see the result that you will be happy with and that the surgeon feels that he or she can achieve.Check out websites, look for a lot of examples of patients who have noses like yours and how they turned out.That is probably the most important help in determining which surgeon you would like to have do your work for you.Best wishes.

Robert Kotler, MD, FACS

Author, SECRETS OF A BEVERLY HILLS COSMETIC SURGEON

Author, THE ESSENTIAL COSMETIC SURGERY COMPANION

Robert Kotler, MD