I have 2 adjacent molars with crowns my dentist wants to replace these crown because I have receding gums. Is this necessary?

+1
The question that I would need to know is whether it is just because your teeth and crowns look bad with the recession (esthetic reasons) or because there is something functionally wrong with the roots of your teeth (i.e. cavities or severe ditching from bruxing or clenching) and that is the reason he is recommending replacement.  In itself, if it is only for esthetics, and you aren't having any other problems with the teeth that you or your dentist can detect, then you may not have to have the crowns replaced.  Sometimes just having fillings on the roots of the teeth will do the trick, or go to a gum specialist (periodontist) and have gum grafting to put the receding gums back onto your roots.

Laguna Niguel Cosmetic Dentist

NEW CROWNS TO ADDRESS RECESSION

+1
Wow!  This one gets philosophical. Define "necessary". Moderate recession is usually not life-threatening to a tooth.   If recession is the one and only problem with the molars I personally would be more likely to suggest a desensitizing agent, and/or consider grafts to increase the zone of attached gingiva.  If the patient asked me if I would re-crown the teeth because they just hate hate hate the look of the molars (usually not seen by others) I would first consider treating the real problem (recession) and THEN consider re-crowning the teeth.
I hope that helps!

Paul Hettinger, DMD
Orlando Cosmetic Dentist

Receding Gums

+1
Usually the first answer to receding gums is the grafting of gum tissue to cover exposed roots, regain attachment and prevent further recession.  Replacing crowns to cover exposed roots due to recession can result in the same situation a few years down the line.  Replacement may or may not be your best option.

Lawrence Singer, DMD
Washington Cosmetic Dentist

#RecedingGums exposes tooth roots...

+1
Whenever gums recede to the point that there are roots exposed, it is a good idea to try to fix this problem with a couple different options. 

Option #1:  Antibiotic treatment of the area with injections at the site of gum recession, followed by soft tissue grafts to increase your gum tissue.  

Option #2:  Have your crowns removed, then redone with them extending down the tooth root farther.

Good luck and I hope this helps. Follow me if you have more questions.
Sarah Thompson, DMD

Sarah Thompson, DMD
Belleville Cosmetic Dentist