Additional Lipo Needed After TT? (photo)

hello i had a full tt and flank lipo almost 15 weeks ago, i have my 3 month post op appt next week and just wanted some opinions on why my "love handles" still look this way? what do you think would need to be done to fix this problem? im happy with my results of the tt just not the lipo that was done it looks fine in standing position, but when i sit it just looks 10x worse and looks horrible . im a active person and watch my diet, do i need some revision?

Abdominoplasty revision

+1

It is unclear exactly what was done at surgery and a single frontal view from before surgery does not allow sufficient analysis of your presurgery condition. The tissue that bothers you and you are grabbing is extra skin and fat just beyond the edges of the abdominoplasty. You just need to have the abdominoplasty extended further on to your back with or without additionally liposuction of the area. The best person to do that and your cheapest option is to have your abdominoplasty surgeon do the revision. Touch revisions on the outer edges of an abdominoplasty are actually fairly common.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Love handles after TT and lipo

+1

Thanks for the question and the photos.

I cannot tell from the question which area was suctioned, nor what was discussed before surgery as far as the operative plan and the choices offered to you. 

From what I see in the post-op photos, there is excess skin and fat along the flanks/love hand area. You demonstrate what bothers you in the fourth photo. The treatment for this would involve removing both excess skin and fat, essentially converting this to a lower body lift or belt lipectomy. I fear that liposuction alone will not resolve this to your satisfaction. 

I might add that when you sit, whether you are large or small, the tissues of the abdomen and flank will buckle because they are forced together into a smaller area than when you are standing, and the appearance will always be worse. Look at swimsuit models and see how often they are photographed sitting!

Speak with your surgeon about your concerns, and you should be able to work out a resolution. Best wishes.

Additional #Liposuction Needed After #TummyTuck? (photo) ANS:

+1

It is not uncommon to need just a little touch up of either Lipo or skin removal or both in these areas.... I would give it a good 6 months but it looks like to me that you will benefit from this revision.....

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Additional Lipo Needed After TT?

+1

Yes based upon your photos that is a classic "dog ear" deformity. Correction by further incision/excision of skin and fat with some liposuction. 

Skin Resection vs. Liposuction After Tummy Tuck

+1

The classic answer to your question is to wait six months after liposuction to be sure all the swelling has gone down.  In my practice, I use post operative ultrasound (the kind physical therapists use to get rid of sore muscles and not the kind the gynecologist uses to see the baby in the uterus).  Ultrasound will hasten your recovery after liposuction, and instead of waiting six months for the final outcome, you need to wait about six weeks.  This being said, it appears you need skin and fat resectioned, extending your abdominoplasty incision around towards your back.   

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Concerned about Flanks after Tummy Tuck Surgery?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

The area of concern is visible in the pictures that you have posted. Although some improvement may be noticeable over time, I think it is very likely that you will benefit from revisionary surgery. Treatment of the stubborn muffin top (flank area) involves excision (lipectomy) of excess skin and adipose tissue. Liposuction  surgery alone  will potentially leave you with loose skin and an  unsatisfactory result.

I would suggest that you continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon;  communicate your concerns in  the spirit of improving the results you have achieved.

Persistent Love Handles After Tummy Tuck and Flank Liposuction

+1

Your residual love handles likely reflect the need for skin excision and an extension of the tummy tuck scar. Your plastic surgeon understandably kept the tummy tuck scar from extending into the back with the hope that liposuction would adequately reduce the size of the flanks. As you have pointed out, they look fine when standing which is exactly what your surgeon saw when you were laying supine on the operative table. You need to wait until six  months after your surgery and then revisit this issue with your surgeon. Perhaps more liposuction may be needed but I suspect the definitive elimination of them will require further skin removal.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Hips after tummy tuck

+1

Your hips look a bit full and may require liposuction and/or skin excision as well. It is best to determine this in person, but I would what 4-6 months until the swelling came down.

Improving Flanks After Tummy Tuck

+1

From your photos you have additional fatty tissue and skin that is made more noticeable since the abdomen is less of a concern after surgery. This can be resolved by liposuction or skin excision with the underlying fat (more likely). Since you have had lipo already, it is likely that you would need something more like an extended tummy tuck to address this issue. Speak with your surgeon about a revision for a better overall outcome.

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Excessive love handles after a tummy tuck: your pictures show that you may need more than just liposuction

+1

Based on the pictures you have shown I would suggest additional excision of excess skin and fat rather than just liposuction.  Although it is always difficult to give definitive advice based solely on pictures without seeing you in person, I suspect only additional excision, and not liposuction, is the answer to your problem.

Sincerely,

Martin Jugenburg, MD, FRCSC

Martin Jugenburg, MD