Is It Likely That I'll Need Revision Breast Surgery After Nursing?

I had a breast augmentation after nursing my son for 22 months. Breastfeeding that long left my breasts very deflated and with very little tissue remaining. I was a 34AA pre-surgery and measured a 34D after. I'm now 5 months pregnant and intend to breastfeed for 1 year. My breasts have changed very little so far, maybe 1/2 a cup size. Because I had so little breast tissue pre-surgery and am keeping weight gain to guidelines, is it possible to tell how likely it is that I'll need more surgery?

Breast Revision

+1

There is no way to predict at this point.  The breasts can be very different in the way they respond from  one pregnancy to another.

Danville Plastic Surgeon

Revision breast surgery after breast feeding

+1

It is not possible to predict whether you will need another breast augmentation/lift.  Although you are trying to maintain a healthy weight gain through your pregnancy, some women's breasts grow despite a moderate weight gain.  Whether you will need an additional surgery will depend on how much your breast grow during your pregnancy/breastfeeding as well as your skin quality.   Since you have already undergone breast augmentation with lift, at most you will need breast lift after your second pregnancy.

Sugene Kim, MD, FACS

Possible breast revision surgery after nursing

+1

Thank you for your question. The fact that you had little breast tissue prior to your pregancy is a better indicator that you'll experience less volume loss after your next pregnancy. While having undergone a previous breast augmentation may assist you long-term in maintaining your shape, I do agree that it's not possible to predict the visible changes after breast feeding. By maintaining your weight between pregnancies, again, you'll have a better predictor of long-term success. However, other factors such as genetics, tissue elasticity, your age, smoking status, and volume change all play a part in the long-term changes. 

Jeffrey D. Hoefflin, MD

Breast augmentation revision after pregnancy?

+1

No, unfortunately it is not possible to  predict whether additional surgery will be beneficial after pregnancy  and or breast-feeding. However, based on your descriptions, history, and your attempts to keep weight gain within guidelines, I think you're doing everything you can to minimize the need for further surgery. Factors such as weight gain/loss, genetics, age of patient, quality of skin elasticity, change in size of breasts  during pregnancy/ breast-feeding,  more breast-feeding on one side versus the other etc. all play parts  in determining ultimate breast  size, symmetry, shape and position on  chest wall. 

I suggest you enjoy the journey–time will tell if additional surgery is necessary.