Will Adding Juvederm to my Cheek Hollows Also Help Lift Some Sagging Around my Mouth ?

There is also some sagging around my jawline that is starting to appear. I am 51 years old and have great skin and look young for my age, although the hollowness in my cheek area (i also have very high cheekbones and am fit, some say too thin)bothers me, as does the small sagging that is starting to show on the sides of my mouth. Thank you!

Soft Tissue Fillers Fill but do not Lift the Face!

+2

Soft Tissue Fillers used today are wonderful for Filling and softening areas like the Nasolabial folds, lips and outer chin hollowed areas.   They do not Lift the cheek or sides of the mouth .  Facelift surgery will lift the cheek but even that cannot reliably do much to the sides of the aging mouth.   This requires lifting , filling and sometimes even a Laser to soften the deep creases as well

Nonsurgical face lift

+1
Juvederm Voluma is an excellent option to restore volume in the cheeks and provide a non surgical mid face lift. Voluma can be combined with Juvederm (which works well around the mouth) to provide a nonsurgical facelift.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Juvaderm is not the best filler to support and volumize cheeks

+1

Juvaderm is not the best filler to support and volumize cheeks. This is because Juvaderm is a relatively thin product meant for injection into the dermis of the skin. Other more viscous agents like Radiesse or sollagen stimulators like Sculptra seem to work better.

Edward Lack, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

Juvederm for cheek hollows

+1

In my experience this combination gives good improvement with the non-surgical approach you mentioned. My favorite filler is currently Juvederm which is minimally uncomfortable and can be utilized to give very nice correction to all of the areas you mentioned. That and a good skin care regimen will go a long way toward keeping you looking young.

Deason Dunagan, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Using Juvederm for Cheek Hollows to Lift the Mouth

+1

Hi,

As we age, we tend to lose fat in the cheek hollows and we actually lose bone in the framework of our face.  The good news is that we have a lot of options to volumize the face and recreate the fulllness of youth.  This is the hottest area in facial rejuvenation right now.  The goal is not to just fill in lines but to give your face the volume you had when you were younger.  We can use any of the hyaluronic acid fillers, Radiesse, and Sculptra.  I like Radiesse a lot since one syringe goes a long way and lasts a year to a year and a half.  Another benefit is that you can see the result right away.  Allergan is coming out with a more robust version of Juvederm called Juvederm Voluma which will provide that lift using an HA product.

Dr. Liu

Grace Liu, MD
Newport Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm to make you smile again

+1

Though, as you can imagine, it's difficult to know if Juvederm is the perfect solution for you, it is a great option for volumizing the cheeks and smoothing some of the contours in the marionette lines and along the jawline.  Adding Juvederm around the corners of the mouth can add support the that area and keep the lips from turning down and looking like a frown.  Often we add a little Botox to the depressor muscles on the sides of the chin (DAO) to keep them from dragging the corners of the mouth down as well.  The two in combination are great!

Dr. Grant Stevens

Grant Stevens, MD

Dermal Filler to Re-Volumize & When Surgery May be an Option

+1

As we age, we gradually lose volume from the face as a result of depleting soft tissue, muscle, and bone, which act as support structures under the skin. As this occurs, our skin starts to degenerate, deflate, and descend. Cheeks appear flatter and sunken in (creating a hollowed appearance), undereye troughs deepen, the temples appear sunken in, lines form around the mouth, and jowls become more prominent. In order to re-inflate the envelope (picture re-inflating a beach ball), dermal fillers are injected into these areas of depleted volume, creating a lifted, smoother appearance.

At age 51, surgery may also be an option for you. Depending on your level of skin laxity and your desired level of correction, a facelift may offer a more definitive result. However, although a facelift produces a firmer, less wrinkled, more youthful appearance, it will not solve the issue of volume loss, and you will likely still require dermal fillers to re-establish definition in the cheeks.

Consult with an experienced Cosmetic Dermatologist in your area to help guide you in determining the best treatment options for your concerns. If you are more inclined to explore your surgical alternatives, it is best to consult with an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Frances Jang, MD
Vancouver Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm - cheek hollows

+1

Unfortunately placing Juvederm in your cheek hollows is unlikely to help the sagging of your skin around your mouth - your jowels.  If you have deep marionette lines around your mouth, Juvederm in these areas can help.  However, you may need a facelift to get the results you want.  I'd recommend you see an experienced Plastic Surgeon so they can evaluate your individual anatomy and tell you what treatments will give you the results you hope to achieve.

Dr. Cat Begovic M.D.

Catherine Huang-Begovic, MD

Will Juvederm to my cheeks help lift my mouth wrinkles?

+1

The quick and simple answer here is...probably not.  While Juvederm is extremely effective at replacing lost volume to the cheeks, by placing it here does not guarantee that the tissue around the mouth will be effected. 

Overall, the aging process occurs on many levels and so simply replacing volume does not always do the trick.  Quick often, I will add a skin-tightening procedure such as fractional CO2 laser resurfacing to more comprehensively address the effects of aging.

I hope that helps!

Gregory A. Buford, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Volumization with fillers can help minimize sagging of the lower face

+1

many people see their jowls form as their cheeks descend and the corners of the lips drop and smile creases deepen as the cheek folds over the crease. This is often related to fat atrophy in the mid cheek, not gravity or age. As there is less support from the loss of the infrastructure of the fatty compartment these new "aged" appearances are noted. Voumization is commonly done with fat injections, Radiesse, Perlane or Juvederm ultra plus.

Ronald Shelton, MD