Adding Flab Lipo to a Mommy Makeover Surgery?

I'm 55 and planning to have a mommy makeover including tummy tuck and breast reduction/lift surgery together. I have the flabs on my sides toward the back which I really hate. Is it dangerous to lipo those areas in addition to the above procedures during the same surgery time? I hear its risky because its located in the back and conflicts with the front procedures due to risk of bleeding. Please advice. If dangerous, any other options to correct the areas. Thanks. Melody

Lipo

+1

If the skin tone of your hips and flanks are good then you will benefit from the additional liposuction.

Mommy Makeover with Liposuction

+1

Fat deposits on the sides of the abdomen are a common concern for patients seeking a mommy makeover.  Depending upon the specific tummy tuck technique used, some of this fat can safely be liposuctioned at the same time as the tummy tuck is performed.  I would discuss with your surgeon the specific areas that are bothering you and see if he/she thinks the area can safely be removed at the same time as your mommy makeover.  Good luck.

Sacha Obaid, MD

Liposuction with Mommy Makeover

+1

Liposuction of the flanks is very common in conjunction with a mommy makeover. This often improves the overall contour of the waist and can enhance the result. If done properly, this should not increase the risk of the surgery for you. You should discuss this with your plastic surgeon, and be sure that they have extensive experience in body contouring procedures. Good luck.

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Lipo of flanks at same time as tummy tuck

+1

Liposuction can be performed on the flanks at the same time as a tummy tuck. I do this all the time.

Its safe and usually improves the tummy tuck results

+1

Thank you for the question.  I think the best tummy tuck results usually are delivered when the side and back of the waist is addressed as well.  Liposuction of the lower back and hips/flanks usually improves the appearance of the tummy tuck.  Doing so is safe but most be done judiciously.  I would consult with several board certified plastic surgeons that perform liposuction with a tummy tuck in the fashion described.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Liposuction with mommy makeover - is it safe?

+1

Thanks for your question.  In general, adding liposuction to the mommy makeover procedure is a safe procedure.  When combining procedures, it is safest to keep the operative time to under 6 hours to help decrease general anesthetic risks.  Also, minimizing blood loss is very important when combining procedures.  Performing liposuction of the "love handles" with a tummy tuck is a very common procedure and is very safe.  You will need a good medical evaluation prior to any elective surgery.

Naveen Setty, MD, FACS

Adding Flank lipo to Mommy Makeover

+1

If you are otherwise healthy and at a healthy weight, all of this can be done at once provided the surgery can be performed in less than 6 hours.  In a person of average weight, these procedures may take me 4 hours.  I think that keeping the surgery time to less than 6 hours has been shown to reduce complications.  From a purely blood supply standpoint, all of these if performed correctly should not be create risks.

Lateral tension abdominoplasty and liposuction is safe

+1

Dear Melody,
Thank you for your question. You seem like you're in general good health and a good candidate for combination lateral tension abdominoplasty, breast reduction of left as well as my perception of your flanks and back region. Provided that you are in general good health and have medical clearance, it is safe to undergo the additional liposuction that has been proposed. Please discuss this with your board-certified plastic surgeon.

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Adding Liposuction to Mommy Makeover?

+1

Of course, every patient differs with what is a safe amount of surgery (depending on their medical history, etc) but in general, adding liposuction to the flanks / back can be performed at the same time as the tummy tuck surgery.

I would suggest that you speak with your surgeon and discuss the potential risks and complications in regards to adding this procedure to your mommy makeover.

Combining liposuction with a Mommy Make Over is not only safe but Makes for a dramatically better result

+1

You should be very excited about your planed mommy make over. Having a reduction mammoplasty combined with a tummy tuck will give you great results. Adding liposuction will markedly improve your results. Almost always it is advisable to have liposuction on the hip, waist area with the tummy tuck. I also do liposuction on the abdomen itself so that you can achieve a much more sculpted athletic looking abdomen. In order to be able to do liposuction of the abdomen at the same time the tummy tuck need to be modified by limiting the dissection under the upper flap to preserve the blood supply. In addition it is better to suture the superficial fascia to the deep fascia. This does several thing that are an improvement. It makes it so you don't need a drain, there is less likely hood of tissue loss, less pain and a quicker rehabilitation. Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who is familiar with this newer technique and ask to see before and after photos. 
See my article in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Sept. 2011, "Abdominoplasty with suction Undermining and plication of the Superficial Fascia with out Drains: A Report of 113 Consecutive Patients".

Carl W. 'Rick' Lentz III, MD