Is Adding Another Procedure on Surgery Day W/O Consultation Considered Sneaky?

I had a consultation with a surgeon near me for a nose surgery and the operation is scheduled in a month. I recently decided I would also like cheek implants and I rather not pay for another consultation and prolong my initial nose surgery to add in a cheek procedure. Would it be seen as sneaky if I ask my surgeon on surgery day to also include cheek implants on that day? If you were in that position as the surgeon, would you insist a seperate consultation is needed or perform on that day?

Adding Another Procedure on the Day of Surgery

+2

I don't think it would be sneaky to add cheek implants on the day of surgery, but it would not be smart for you to do so.I don't know any surgeons that would charge you another consultation fee. If you discuss the ckeek implants before the rhinoplasty surgery you will have time to think about that procedure and consider any possible alternatives. The operating room staff will have time to prepare for an addiional procedure.Naturally there will be an additional charge regardless of when you schedule.

Consultation charge

+2

Each surgeon is different. I do not charge for a consultation and have you come a second time before your surgery to re discuss what will be done. If you wanted something else done, you would have to tell me then. On the day of surgery, I would not add another procedure. Especially if I had to get implants and there was a separate charge.

Web reference: Http://www.wrmd.com

Asking for Another Procedure on Day of Surgery

+2

Hi,

I would definately inform the surgeon prior to the procedure. He/she shouldn't charge you another consult fee. Understand that the surgeon may need to order implants, he/she may not have the right size or shape on hand. You would also want to have time to consider all the risk, benefits and alternatives.

Dr.S.

Web reference: http://www.rhinoplastysurgeonnewyork.com

Adding Procedures on Day of Surgery

+1

It is generally only a good idea to add procedures on the surgery day if these are procedures the surgeon has already discussed/recommended for you and told you could be added the day of.   If you're adding something out of the blue, you may  not have time to thoroughly discuss with the surgeon.

Web reference: http://www.sandiegoface.com/

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cheek Implants

+1

Cheek implants need to be of the right size and shape to a particular individuals needs. I order all my implants on a one to on  basis after examining the patient. This is not something a surgeon can do on the spur of the moment. Go see him let him examine you and then order the cheek implants overnight express mail if needed.

Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Adding procedures on the day of surgery

+1

I would avoid adding an additional procedure on the day of surgery. Often times, the addition of a procedure requires a thorough analysis with discussion of options and expectations, especially with implants. If you are considering cheek implants I would schedule another consultation (I doubt that most surgeons would charge an additional consultation fee) well in advance of the procedure in order to give the surgeon and his or her staff time to plan. Failure to prepare properly often results in confusion and the patient experience is suboptimal.

Multiple cosmetic procedures

+1

Adding procedures on the day of surgery that have not been previously discussed with or planned for by your surgeon is not a good idea. What if you ask for the implant the day of surgery & they do not have an implant or the right sized implant available? What if the price is now so high you need to make some arrangements to come up with the extra funds?

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Presurgical Education And Planning Is Important For A Satisfactory Result

+1

Besides the fact that it is very unlikely that your surgeon will add on another major facial procedure right before your rhinoplasty, it would also be unwise on your part. There are numerous issues involved in the use of cheek implants that require careful thought by you and your surgeon before surgery. Like any implant placed into the body, thoughtful selection of size and style is needed to assure a satisfactory result. You should return and discuss this with your surgeon well in advance of your surgery date. While I don't know your surgeon's office policies, second consults before surgery are not charged and are considered a prudent step before surgery in my practice.

Web reference: http://www.eppleyplasticsurgery.com/cheek.html

+1

I would think you are non decisive. Better to be up front before the day of surgery. Maybe the doctor does not have the extra time. Or he might think you are not a candidate. So many issues that I would most likely turn the extra operation down or reschedule everything to another date

+1

I have performed both Rhinoplasty and Cheek Augmentation using Cheek Implants and the main flaw with your plan, IMHO is to assume that your Rhinoplasty Surgeon is also proficient in using Cheek Implants to create an aesthetically pleasing face.  Call and have a follow up consultation to see if that indeed is true but learn the proper aesthetics, of facial beauty beforehand.  IMHO, the most common complication from Cheek Augmentation with Cheek Implants is the lack of proper aesthetic judgement.

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com