Will Adding 50CC to my Implant Make a Difference?

I have smooth rnd mod plus profile saline implants filled to 275cc. i am very petite, my ribcage measurement is 30" im 5'5" 115 and I started out with an A cup. I believe the max fill is 330cc for my implant style...Would adding 50cc to my implant make a difference? Thx!!

Will the difference be enough?

+2

Mia,

An increase of 50cc will indeed make a difference.  The question is "will the difference be enough for you?".  As mentioned by others the volume difference will be 18%.  With a 30 inch chest circumference this should result in about a 1/2 cup increase in your breast size.  If that is enough to achieve what you wish to achieve, then it will make a difference for you.  Good luck!

Additional Fill To Saline Breast Implants Vs. Replacing With New Breast Implants

+2

The answer to your question is a simple mathematical one. With existing 275cc implants, an additional fill of 50cc will make an 18% change in their volume. This will make a noticeable size difference with your small frame but don't expect it to make a 1/2 or full cup size difference. Also, further fill will make the implants feel a little firmer. But assuming that the base size of your implants was 275cc, an additional 50cc will not make them feel abnormally firm. This is a good approach to enhance what you already have but if you are looking for a significant difference in breast size, you will need to replace your implants with new ones.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Adding 50cc is Not Worth the Trouble

+2

Adding 50cc may add a small amount of appreciable volume and make your implant feel firmer.

If size and shape are not what you want, discuss the alternative options, including replacing your current implants to give you the results you seek.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Adding saline to existing implants

+1

In general, saline-filled breast implants are designed to be filled once and then sealed. They are not meant to be accessed and volume added or subtracted later on if they are to last for many years. 

The disadvantages of going back to surgery and changing the volume of the existing implants are cost, operative risks, and a new or bigger incision if they weren't put in through the inframammary crease or if the minimal 2 cm incision was used the first time. 

In the size range of implants in question, the minimal visible difference in volume between implants is about 25cc. 50 cc's would make a visible difference but would be nowhere near a 1/2 cup difference as mentioned in one answer. 

There is controversy about proper fill ranges for saline-filled implants and it might vary between the two major US manufacturers. In general and from my experience, saline implants must be filled to their minimum rated volume and no more than 10% fill above that or the risk of palpable or visible ripples increases. Mentor lists a larger fill range than 10% but I disagree that it is always advisable to fill saline implants to the maximum and certainly not worth going back to fill them further. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

I would recommend adding the volume

+1

I would recommend adding the additional 50 cc, but not likely for the reasons you are hoping.

Saline implants have a fill volume range.  In my opinion, saline implants should always be filled to the upper fill volume within this range.  Underfilling the implant puts you at high risk for rippling and deflation from folding of the implant. 

From your post, it looks like you have Mentor 275 cc moderate plus profile implants.  In my practice, this implant would be my choice for about 325-340 cc fill volume. 

Additionally, you will likely be happy with the increased size and fullness of adding 50 cc.

York Jay Yates, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Adding volume to saline implants

+1

Without pictures it is difficult to say if it is advisable or not to go bigger with the same kind of implant, but an additional 50 cc is usally not worth another surgery. It will make a visible difference but since you have a small frame and probably skinny, my preference will be to go with a narrower high profile silicone implant with more volume depending on your current breast base measurments.

Antoine A. Hallak, MD, FACS

Adding volume to saline implants

+1

This is an option for you, but 50cc will only make you a bit fuller.  You may need to consider a different implant.  Please visit with a board certified plastic surgeon to learn more about your options.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Will Adding 50CC to my breast Implants Make a Difference?

+1

Dear Mia607,

I agree with the prior answers you recieved.

To give you some perspective on the amount you are considering, 50 cc is about 3 tablespoons (30 cc = one fl. ounce = 2 tablespoons).  Thus your question of it 'making a difference' really depends on the final fill volume that is in the implants- Less noticeable in a 450cc filled breast implant, as opposed to a 225 cc filled inplant. 

I hope this helped,

Sergio Pasquale Maggi, M.D., F.A.C.S.

Sergio P. Maggi, MD

Adding volume to breast implants

+1

In most cases adding 50 cc is a negligible difference.  However, if they are small implants (low volume) and you have minimal breast tissue, then you may be able to notice a difference.  If you just had the implants placed, I would suggest waiting 6 months or so before deciding to make any changes.  

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

In a small breast implant 50cc increase may be enough

+1

The increase of 50cc in a small implant can make a visible difference, and you will fill out  another one half cup size. The increase will be about 20%, provided that the implants have the full room to go, 275 to 330cc. If the increase is truly within the recommended fill range the implants should feel and perform well. Consider of course that you will require another procedure and risks and perhaps costs are present so be certain that the small difference will be worth the effort. Some might not agree.

peterejohnsonmd