How is Adant Different from Restylane?

I am considering to have filler treatment but after I searched "hyarulonic acid", I found that Adant (treatment for Osteoarthritis of the knee) is also the same ingredient with Restylane and much more cheaper so I am wonder why doctor decided to use Restylane instead of Adant. Thanks for your answers!

Adant is designed to treat arthritis.

+2

Dear Teeleck

Adant is a hyaluronic acid filler designed to be injected by a physician into an arthritic joint essentially as a lubricant. The product is not approved for use in the United States. Synvisc is a hyaluronic acid filler that is used in the United States for this purpose. However, these drugs are not designed or tested for their compatiblity in the face. Fillers for facial use need to be well tolerated and they need to stay where places. Too runny and the material will difuse and not provide the desired volume effect. If you purchase this product and inject it into your face, you are conduction an experiement. Will the treatment work out or not? My advice is to stick with drugs that have been developed, tested, and approved to the use you intend. Is it really worth saving a few buck to take this type of risk?

Using CHEAPER versions of Hyaluronic Acid

+2

I think most would agree that the BEST fillers should be free or cheap, last forever and have NO complications. I think there are people out there who have the same demands of rich chocolate cake (free, taste great and have no calories...). Neither one exists in REAL life.

A few years ago, as it became obvious that the Europeans had access to hyaluronic acid fillers (Restylane etc) while we in the US did NOT because they were still being evaluated by the FDA - several Plastic surgeons and Dermatologist did EXACTLY what you propose. They injected Hyaluronic acid Orthopedic arthritic joint fillers AND several Ophthalmological hyaluronic acid fillers (used in retina surgery). This is considered an OFF LABEL USE.

Bottom line - the wrinkle smoothing results were VERY short acting because the hyaluronic acid in these medications was broken down rapidly AS IT NORMALLY IS in our bodies.

On the other hand, BOTH Restylane and Juvederm contain very cross-linked Hyaluronic acid which lasts up to a year.

If someone tells you Adant etc etc are the same as Restylane or Juvederm you should know you are being scammed.

Restylane is FDA approved for facial injection

+2

Simple reason: safety. Restylane has been used in millions of people safely and effectively and is FDA approved for facial lines and folds. It is hyaluronic acid that is manufactured and crossliked for this purpose. This other product is not for facial injections, and I do not think it is even crosslinked.

Mary Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

Different formulations for different indications

+2

Though hyaluronic acids were first formulated for the treatment of joint disease, the formulation is very much different than the ones that are used for soft tissue augmentation. Adant is used for the lubrication of arthritic knees and other joints as it is formulated chemically for such and indication. The way the molecule is formed, the structure, the bonding is completely different than your HA fillers. If the filler was injected in the dermis, who knows might develop as foreign body reaction and granulomas may occur. Thus, it is key not to seek a dermal filler based on price, but more on formulation and where thry are indicated to be used. Even HA fillers for soft tissue augmentation are not formulated the same way, with some made for deeper injections and othere for more superficial ones. Be on the know and be educated.

Hassan Galadari, MD
Dubai Dermatologist

Advant is not Restylane

+1

Chemical compounds that are similar can differ molecularly and have very different physical properties. Table sugar is not pasta but they're both carbohydrates. The thickness or viscosity, the cross binding of the molecule, the granular vs. smooth nature, molecular size, etc make the different hyaluronic acids inject differently, last differently, spread or stay localized differently, create lumpiness or hardness differently. That is why your physician would not use Advant, which is designed to be compressed by significant pressure in joint spaces, in your facial skin.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Adant and Restylane

+1

Teeleck,

Technically, Adant and Restylane are the same molecule, hyaluronic acid. This molecule is naturally found in our skin and is naturally broken down in a relatively short time period. Restylane is specially treated with a process known as crosslinking. This process makes the molecule more stable and causes it to last longer when injected. That is why your doctor recommended Restylane. He or she apparently has some integrity.

Kenneth R. Francis, MD