Activity Limitations After Vaser Liposelection?

I am having Vaser Liposelection 10 days before I am scheduled to go on my Spring vacation. Will I be held back from any activities I'll be taking part in with the family (i.e. sunbathing, wearing a bikini, snorkeling, and watersports)? I am having VERY minimal fat removed from my love handle and bra fat areas. I am 5"7.5 and 135-140 lbs. Do you think the bruising will be significant?

Realistic Recovery Period for Liposuction

+2

Regarding: "Activity Limitations After Vaser Liposelection?
I am having Vaser Liposelection 10 days before I am scheduled to go on my Spring vacation. Will I be held back from any activities I'll be taking part in with the family (i.e. sunbathing, wearing a bikini, snorkeling, and watersports)? I am having VERY minimal fat removed from my love handle and bra fat areas. I am 5"7.5 and 135-140 lbs. Do you think the bruising will be significant
?  "

Liposuction, be it VASER liposelection or any other methods, is a real operation which requires a recovery period. While extensive liposuction is associate with more trauma and swelling even small volume liposuction procedures need to be allowed to recover.

In my opinion 10 days is shaving it too close between VASER liposuction and "wearing a bikini, snorkeling, and watersports". and your surgeon should have told you that. For best results you not only need to have your Plastic surgery done by a qualified, well trained Plastic surgeon but EQUALLY important, you MUST follow all of his instructions before and after the surgery.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Activity limitation after VASER Liposuction

+1

I typically recommend to my patients the following post-operative protocol as regards to exercise, garment, etc....

After VASER liposuction you are not allowed to exercise for between 2-3 weeks. You must wear a compression garment 24/7 for 2 months then 12 hours per day for another month. You are not allowed to submerge underwater for at least 2 weeks. I would not allow sun to hit the small incisions for several months after the surgery. Also, post-operative lymphatic massage and external ultrasounds help to expedite recovery. I tell my patients that it takes 8 weeks for the majority of edema to resolve where you will be beach ready. Going on vacation 10 days post-operative is not a smart idea as you would be breaking the majority of recommendations for post-operative recovery. Although this is my protocol, best to ask the doctor doing the procedure. My recommendation would be to go on vacation then come back and do the procedure.

Jeffrey LaGrasso, MD
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Expect some limitations

+1

Hi there-

10 days is not very much time to recover, regardless of how much is being removed... even with the VASER.

You should expect to have some swelling, and even with the VASER, the use of a quality compression garment at all times is necessary for the first few weeks- bruising will be variable and depend on technique and your skin/tissue characteristics.

Based on the need for the garment and the need to limit/prevent swelling in order to achieve the best long term outcome, I would not be comfortable with you participating in watersports or going without your garment for the first few weeks. It's important to understand that deviation from recommended postoperative restrictions and instructions may compromise your outcome permanently...

I think your best options are to accept that you will be limited in your ability to fully participate in this vacation, or to reschedule your procedure for after the trip.

Sorry to bear bad news.... but I think you'll regret trying to squeeze these two good things into too little time...

Armando Soto, MD, FACS