Will There Be Any Activities That I Will Need to Avoid During my Lasik Eye Surgery Recovery?

Would swimming and cycling not be recommended for a few days/weeks?

Most activities are allowed during recovery with LASIK

+1

Most activities are allowed during recovery with LASIK.  Swimming may be allowed after 2 weeks, but most everything else you can do the very next day.

New York Ophthalmologist

Activities to Avoid Immediately After Lasik, PRK and Cataract Surgery

+1

I, typically, recommend no swimming or excessive exertion for approximately one week after Lasik, PRK or Cataract surgery. Although this is likely to be overly cautious, it also gets the patient in the frame of mind to be somewhat more sedentary after surgery, and I have found this reduces the risk of injury to the eye. Examples of this would be cycling, boxing, basketball, swimming, etc. I do not restrict patients from variations in altitude, like we experience in an airplane, so traveling is fine.  One has to remember, though,  the air on an airplane is considerably drier than usual, so we will prepare you with extra rewetting drops if you have a trip planned. My advice is to use common sense after any surgery, including eye surgery. Take it easy for a week and things will be fine.

Anthony J. Kameen, MD
Baltimore Ophthalmologist

Avoid potentially traumatic sports for about 1-2 weeks after LASIK

+1

After PRK you can resume normal activities one day after the bandage contact lens is removed. After LASIK I recommend avoiding swimming pools and hot tubs for about two weeks due to the possibility of contaminated water. Contact sports should be avoided for about 1-2 weeks but use your own judgment. I usually tell patients that it is ok to run or workout the day after LASIK but don't overdo it as your body is healing.

Joseph W. King, MD
Vancouver Ophthalmologist