Will my Active Job Prevent my Tummy Tuck from Healing Properly?

After two pregnancies (and c-sections) I am planning a tummy tuck to remove excess skin and correct my separated abdominal muscles. I am a police officer, so my job is more physically demanding than some. I will have "light duty" available after the initial recovery period. I am wondering, though, whether the weight and pressure of my ballistic vest and duty belt will be uncomfortable even after six weeks -- and whether it may actually not be good for the incision area. Any ideas?

Tummy tuck restrictions

+3

Most police officers can request light duty for six weeks.  They need to be 100% when they go back to work, so their work will often insist in a release from their doctor.

Ballistic vests and gunbelts should be well tolerated after six weeks.  Many patients actually report improved back pain because they now have an internal corset in place.

Web reference: http://www.drbrent.com/hybridabdominoplastyprocedure.php

Tummytuck Healing Affected By Active Job

+2

It is best to give yourself 6-8 weeks before you resume full activity after a tummytuck.  Furthermore, when you do resume activity, it is important to ease into it and not go full activity right away.  The weight of your vest should not affect the incision healing at that time so long as it is not rubbing it and causing an irritation.

Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Recovery from Tummy Tuck

+2

While it is impossible to predict with 100% accuracy, most likely you will be fine.  If you have a physically demanding job, I would suggest at least two weeks off after surgery and the light duty for the next month.  After that point, you should do well, but everyone is different.  

Good Luck.

Web reference: http://www.ShaferPlasticSurgery.com

Recovery 6 weeks after tummy tuck

+2

At six weeks post-surgery, your incisions should be fully healed, but your scars (both internal and external) are still maturing.  You may find that the weight of your gear is a little bothersome at the 6-week mark, but I would expect you to be able to wear it, for the most part.  Everyone heals differently, so you should have a backup plan in place, in case you aren't able to resume your full duties when you expect to.

Should not be a Problem

+1

I do not believe the weight of your vest will be a problem. Activities, motions and exercises which exert tension of your abdominal wall should be avoided for two months.