Active FX, Rhinoplasty with Fat Transfer Combined Procedures Safe?

I am scheduled to have Active FX for acne scarring, Rhinoplasty and Fat transfer for under eye circles and all over to help scarring.

I am really worried about recovering from all of this at once. I had CO2 laser back when it was horribly invasive and I swore I would never do anything like that again. Am I going to hate myself?

Is the Active FX + Deep FX recovery REALLY that different than the old CO2 laser? And, am I crazy to do this all at once? I have about a month off. I'm female, 33.

Ablative Fractional laser with rhinoplasty

+2
I can definitely sense your trepidation in scheduling so many procedures all at once. If you are planning on having laser resurfacing to your nose at the same time as your rhinoplasty, I might delay the rhinoplasty. If the laser resurfacing can be performed on other parts of your face, then the procedures that you are scheduled to undergo, including the facial fat grafting, are not terribly difficult to recover from. The recovery from full face CO2 laser facial resurfacing would be significantly worse than fractional ablative laser resurfacing.

Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon

Combining Active FX with rhinoplasty and fat transfer

+1

The ActiveFX can be done under a local anesthesia in the clinic. It is not a surgical procedure. The ActiveFX should not be done on the nose if you are having a rhinoplasty. The fat transfer to the face can be done at the same time as a rhinoplasty if so desired. There would be approximately 10 to 14 days worth of bruising and swelling and you will need approximately two weeks off from work.

Multiple surgery and safety

+1

The Active Fx is truly a "fraction" of the healing of the old C02 laser ( which was very effective but resulted in admittedly a brutal recovery. ) This combination of procedures is reasonable and should be generally safe. As you know all surgery carries risk and you should discuss the details with your srugeon.

ActiveFx or DeepFx, Rhinoplasty, Fat Grafting can be combined

+1

I certainly think that these three procedures can safely be performed in one session. The emphasis is on CAN because they certainly can also be staged.

Once something is considered safe by your surgeon, an important consideration is your personal comfort with the procedure combination. Do not take on more than you feel good about!

And yes, fractionated CO2 treatments routinely come with an easier recovery than full force ablative CO2.

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon