Is the Active Fx Procedure Painful?

I am considering the Active FX. I do not have much sun damage and am very sensitive to the sun. I am anxious about the procedure. My Dr. says it is painless and you feel like hot sand blowing on your face and can expect swelling for a few days. I have read reviews and it seems as if many people have various reactions.

Is the Active Fx Procedure Painful?

+1

Thank you for your question. Laser resurfacing such as Active Fx works by stimulating collagen, smoothing out lines, wrinkles and scars, removing brown spots and other irregularities. Expect to have final results at about 6 months as it builds collagen to tighten and tone the skin and improve superficial lines and wrinkles. There is about a 1-2 wk. downtime as the skin recovers, depending on the severity of sun damage and depth of treatment. I would recommend being treated under the supervision of a Board Certified Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon for safest and best treatment options. I hope this helps.

Bay Area Dermatologist

Active FX should be comfortable

+1

With proper topical numbing and/or nerve blocks where appropriate, the Active FX procedure is very well tolerated by patients.  We use forced air cooling in addition to numbing agents to increase patient comfort during the procedure.  Very rarely does a patient require an oral medication for pain control or relaxation during or after the procedure. 

Melanie D. Palm, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

How painful is Active FX ?

+1

Thanks for the question.

In general, the Active FX procedure is very well tolerated. We incorporate a topical anesthetic with oral analgesics and local blocks, providing excellent pain control.  I recommend consulting with your clinician to find out what type of pain control regimen they implement.

Warmest Regards,

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S.

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

Active FX treatment comfort

+1

In general, this is quite tolerable without need for deep anesthesia, however the doctor and staff must take certain steps to ensure this.  Our patients are offered a mild sedative, as well as a pain pill before treatment, and they are administered a topical numbing cream. During the treatment, an assistant cools the skin with a specialized air cooler. The sedative and pain pill are optional, but make for a relaxed, pleasent treatment session.  I would recommend discussing with your physician  in advance which  comfort measures are employed.

Roy A. David, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Pain and ActiveFX Fractional Laser Treatment.

+1

The perception of pain is a very individual thing. What one person perceives as hot or cold can be perceived by another as pain. This is why the reviews you have read have varied depending on the individuals experience.

To avoid this issue we have a standard protocol for SkinMD patients undergoing ActiveFX, DeepFX and TotalFX Treatments that includes application of a topical anesthetic to the treatment area as well as prescribing an oral anti-inflammatory medicine to help with post-procedure swelling.

Be sure to ask your doctor what kind of preparation they provide for patients before and after treatment.

Anifat Balogun, MD