Active FX During Pegnancy

Im getting Active FX on Saturday & will be 6 weeks pregnant. Its to treat a small scar between my eyebrows and so I will only be getting my forehead treated. I had the procedure done last year & this is to try to improve it a bit more. I didn't take infection medications last time as it was such a small area being treated & I dont plan to take them this time either. The scar really bothers me so if it wasn't going to harm the baby I'd really like to get it done. I've never had hyperpigmentation.

Active FX During Pregnancy

+1

Thank you for your question. There are no studies to prove that lasers cause or don't cause harm to the fetus. Although, the procedure is unlikely to cause any harm to the baby, I would not recommend doing any treatment during pregnancy and try to avoid taking any unnecessary drugs.  It is safest to wait until after delivery. I hope this helps.

Bay Area Dermatologist

Wait until after your pregnancy

+1

It advise my patients to wait until after pregnancy for elective procedures.  I don't think there is anything harmful about the laser itself.  It is not toxic.  However, in our office we use numbing creams and some local anesthetic injections, and would recommend avoiding those for elective procedures, especially early on in your pregnancy, where so much of the baby is forming.  It is also stressful on your body to heal the wounds.  Why take a chance.

Burbank Dermatologist

A simple no.

+1

Although the only issue/potential complication that I can specifically point out that is increased in this situation is the chance of hyperpigmentation (due to the hormonal influence of pregnancy),-- it simply is not the best plan. Pregnancy is temporary. What if you do have a problem with the procedure that requires additional medications to treat, ie, infection, etc., You are early in your pregnancy and your baby is in a critical time of development--protect him/her at all costs.  You will never forgive yourself if something happens that you didn't plan for and it, is some way affects your baby.

Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.