Active FX Combined with Dermabrasion for Acne Scars?

I went to a Plastic Surgeon (Boarded Certified) and he recommended Active FX with dermabrasion in some areas for mild acne scarring. Is it common to combine these procedures?

Active FX and dermabrasion for acne scarring

+2

Great question Minnie!  I think this is rarely done but I have done it several times with very good results.  Mild acne scarring can usually be treated with the laser alone, but deeper scarring needs a more aggressive treatment like dermabrasion.  The addition of the laser just adds more energy and injury to the skin which will result in a more significant result.  Jiust make sure you are being treated by a physician with experience using both types of treatments and you'll do great!

Chattanooga Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dermabrasion combined with Active Fx

+1

I offer both of these treatments and I don't think combining them albeit in seperate areas is unreasonable.  Dermabrasion will tend to treat deeper problems like scarring where the active Fx componant of the laser will treat more superficial problems like hyperpigmentation.  Another option would be for you to have the Deep Fx and Active Fx, the Total Fx for your acne scars.   No head to head studies exist comparing these modalities for acne scarring so you'll have to rely on the experience of your doctor.  Ask him or her why he prefers dermabrasion followed by Active Fx over the Total Fx.

James C. Marotta, MD
Long Island Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dermabrasion and Active FX

+1

Minnie, Active FX is a relatively new technology and there is not a lot of information on it, especially if combined with Dermabrasion. Dermabrasion, alone gives excellent results for acne scarring and I am not sure that Active FX will give you anymore benefit. It will be hard to find a lot of information on the results of these treatments when used together. 

My advise is to find someone with lots of Dermabrasion experience, as most of the result will be achieved by this treatment method.

Dr Siegel

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon