Does Active FX Work on People with Asian Skin?

My complexion is slightly yellowish beige, somewhere between fair and brown. I would say fairer than most of with Asian skin. I heard Active FX is not suitable for people with ethnic skin tones, and I was wondering if this includes Asian skin?

ACTIVE FX can be very effective for treating Asian Skin

+1

As I stated in a previous post, ethnic skin of all types can be a challenge when performing either a laser or chemical peel.  To get the best results possible and reduce your risks for complications, make sure that whomever is doing your treatment is experience in the use of not only the laser but also in treating ethnic skin.

That being said, great results can be achieved in Asian Skin using the ACTIVE FX but the settings need to be conservative.  This may require multiple treatments instead of one single session but the outcome can be substantially positive.

I hope this helps!

Web reference: http://www.beautybybuford.com/services/face/laser-skin-resurfacing-denver-colorado/

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Active FX can work on Asian skin

+1

While it's true darker skin patients may have more risk of post treatment hyperpigmentation or hypopigmentation, we find most can be successfully treated with Active FX. The key is using conservative settings and delivering the treatment using proper techniques. We also recommend giving a test spot first in an inconspicuous area before committing to full treatment. Patients who develop a significant reaction should consider avoiding treatment.

San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fractional CO2 Laser can be performed for Asian Skin but requires extensive pre-op and post-op care

+1

Fractional CO2 Laser has become the new gold standard for laser resurfacing for acne scarring, wrinkles, and sun damage. There is not that much difference between the existing Fractional CO2 Lasers (Active Fx, Mixto, Fraxel Repair, etc) and they all perform fairly comparably. However, in the hands of a physician who is not familiar with ethnic skin (e.g. Asian or Hispanic), there is a significant risk of post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation, though even if it were to occur, it is most often temporary.

The key is to find an experienced physician with a team approach to customize a series of pre-op and post-op care routine to maximize your clinical outcome. Pre-treatment and post-treatment with topical hydroquinone and/or topical retinoid would be advisable for ethnic skin or anyone with history of hyperpigmentation. Different parameters suchs the depths of laser penetration, density of penetration, energy released, number of passes for particular anatomic region vary for different skin types and different priorities of the patients. Ideally, you should be under the care of a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon who has performed at least 50 cases of your skin type and know exactly what to do in order to prevent and manage complications.

Web reference: http://www.DrWilliamTing.com/What_s_New.html

Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.