Active FX for Acne and Redness After Thermage and Fraxel?

I have acne scars on my cheeks and redness. I have had Thermage and 1 Fraxel treatment on my face with minimal results. Would I be a canidate for the Active FX treatments?

Active FX for acne scars

+3

Active/ Deep FX can be a great treatment for acne scars. Many patients require more than one treatment, usually spaced every 6 - 9 months, so it is good to keep it in mind. You have to make sure the doctor you see for your scarring has all the available procedures in his or her arsenal, including old-fashioned dermabrasion which is sometimes better, and excision, subcision, fillers, etc. Most patients with acne scars benefit most from combination therapy.

Active FX is usually not a good option for redness, and we usually use IPL which works for it much better.

Fractional CO2 laser for the treatment of acne scars - Melarase creams

+1
Acne scars can be effectively treated with Fractional CO2 laser.  Fractional CO2 has been a mainstay of treatment in my Santa Monica plastic surgery practice and I believe that it is one of the most effective modalities for skin resurfacing available on the market.  If you have a history of pigmentation, I would treat the skin before and after with a topical skin regimen including Melarase AM and Melarase PM. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Acne and redness

+1

I think that TotalFX will be better for your acne concerns. The redness of your face could be improved better by IPL or another vascular laser.

Gustavo A. Diaz, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facial redness may be temporarily worsened by Fractional CO2 laser resurfacing

+1

While Fractional CO2 laser resurfacing may be quite efficacious in treating acne scarring, it can temporarily worsen pre-existing facial redness. You should work with a board-certified dermatologist who can recommend low-dose doxycycline and a customized protocol to augment Fractional CO2 laser resurfacing with subsequent IPL or photofacial laser treatment.

William Ting, MD
Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon

Active FX

+1

Perhaps! It is hard to give you an exact recommendation without an exam but DeepFX can help increase collagen synthesis to help with acne scars. Additionally, ActiveFX helps with some pigmentary changes in the skin.

Tanya Kormeili, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologist