Pain Medication for Active FX Laser Facial Treatment

What medication for pain do other plastic surgeons use while performing Active FX on a patient’s whole face? I was given 2 Vicodin, 1 Xanax and in addition they used a topical analgesic on my face.

Despite all that, it felt like someone was holding a burning cigarette butt to my face, and I could smell the burning flesh, esp. when being lasered near my nose. I never take either of those meds, and do not consider myself as having a low pain threshold.

Was I unusual? The doctor seemed surprised I still felt that much discomfort. I am a 50 year old fair skinned, blue eyed brunette who had sun spots on her face, no other skin issues.

Mild sedation for Fractional CO2 laser resurfacing

+1

We utilize mild sedation for fractional CO2 laser resurfacing including Demerol, doxepin, and lorazepam. You obviously would need transportation leaving the office.

Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon

Nerve blocks may helpful for Active FX pain

+1

Having performed over 200 Active FX treatments, I realize it is not without pain. In fact, it can be quite painful, especially if an aggressive approach is required for deeper lines.

In addition to anxiolytics like xanax, and pain meds like vicodin, I find it very useful to use nerve blocks like the dentists use. I do supraorbital for forehead, infraorbital for lower lids and upper lips, mental for lower lip and chin. I also use a small amount of tumescent anesthesia around crows feet and forehead.

Hope this helped.

Dr. Malouf

Peter Malouf, DO
Dallas Dermatologist