I Have Come Across What Feels Like Air Bubbles in my Implants. Is This Something to Worry About?

I had my implants just over 4 years ago

Implant Bubbles?

+1

I suspect you have saline implants and what you are feeling is a fold in the implant know as rippling. Sometimes this is only felt and sometimes it is visible in certain parts of the breast or certain positions such as bending over. These are not air bubbles. Causes include thinning of the skin, aging, weight loss. I tend to overfill breast implants to minimize this problem but it still can occur.  If your implants are placed on top of the muscle,  some improvement may be obtained by switching to the submuscular position. Another option is switching to a gel implant. I urge you to see your plastic surgeon to discuss your options.

Breast Implants, Breast Augmentation, Air Bubbles

+1

You didn't state what type of implants you have, but it sounds like you are feeling the small ripples or wrinkles in the shell of saline implants. There will not be any air bubbles, but that is the typical statement patients make when they feel these little ripples. If you have only started feeling them on one side, you need to get checked for possible deflation. If you feel them on both sides it may be that the overlying tisses have begun to get thinner, possibly through weight loss, or pregnancy, or the thinning that can sometimes be seen from the tissues adjusting over the implants. At any rate I think you should get an exam by your surgeon.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD