Acquired Breast Asymmetry, Cyclical Pain is Surgery Still an Option?

I have asymmetric breasts. Im 26 now and one of my breasts grew significantly larger than the other around two years ago. It hurts more than the left and swells up slightly more around my period. Would this prevent me from having surgery? My GP seems to think so as the pain is cyclical. The asymmetry is barely visable front on, but from above where I see them from, one protrudes a lot more and is fuller at the bottom, the creases underneath aren't level. Would fat transfer correct this? Thankyou

Breast Asymmetry with Menses

+1

Usually one would not treat this operatively with different breast size implants if they are not asymmetrical outside of your menstrual period.

Pain in the breasts

+1

It's hard to give you an answer without seeing you, but large breast can cause pain.  Check with your plastic surgeon to see if you need a reduction to help with breast symmetry and to remove any offending excess breast tissue.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Breast asymmetry can be improved.

+1

Hi.

In general, if the difference between one breast and the other bothers you, this can be corrected.  The exact technique depends on the anatomy.  I don't think pain would prevent corrective surgery.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

+1

Probably yes.  Asymmetry is common on all parts of the body, and that certainly includes the breasts.  Small degrees of asymmetry are often disregarded since it is rare for there to be perfect symmetry, with or without surgery.  More significant degrees can be addressed using different sized implants, different procedures ( a lift on one side but not the other) or different lift procedures.  The specifics would need to be determined with an in persons consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon.  And cyclical pain is not necessarily a contraindication to this surgery, although that should be explored in more detail, perhaps with an endocrinologist.  Once you have clearance from that standpoint, though, I would probably be able to consider you a candidate for surgery.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

+1

Dear Hez,

Thank you for your question.  It is hard to give you specific advise without photos.  However, plastic surgery is a good treatment for breast asymmetry, congenital or aquired.  Cyclical pain is not a contraindication to surgery.  Many women have this.  I wound pay a visit to your gynecologist for recommendation on birth control as this may even out your periods and help with the pain.  Also, a visit with an endocrinologist would be helpful  Fat grafting with external tissue expansion can be a good alternative to breast implants, but usually in these cases, an augmentation on the smaller side with a lift on the larger side is the most economical way to go, as multiple sessions of fat grafting are required.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon