How Old Do You Have to Be to Get an Acne Treatment? (photo)

I'm 14 and my face is just horribly covered in acne... I've tried everything in stores, on tv, I even had two persctiption medications but they all just made it worse.... It's making me have terrible self confidence issues and it makes me hate myself..... I just really want help..

Treating your acne

+1

Do not give up on treating your acne. You need to see a Dermatologist to give you a good solid medical tratment plan for your acne. I would suggest an oral antibiotic would really help your skin. I would also use a few topicals to improve your acne problem. everything works better when you use a combination treatment plan.Remember it takes at least 2 to 3 months for all the medications to start working to see your improvement . Please don't give up. We have many options for treating your acne and the Dermatologist will work with you to get the best plan for you.Good luck to you. don't give up.

Houston Dermatologic Surgeon

Medical Treatment is Very Important for Inflammatory Acne in Teenagers

+1

Dear writer,

It is very important to treat your inflammatory acne with a medical grade regimen. This is typically based on medicated gels and washes. Doing this early on can prevent your acne from worsening and leaving permanent scars. Also, it may avoid the use of oral medications and other more complex treatments later on. You may visit the website of the American Academy of Dermatology to locate a board certified dermatologist near you. I have provided you with a link that can teach you about all the different treatments for acne. 

Leyda Elizabeth Bowes, MD
Miami Dermatologic Surgeon

Acne treatment

+1

Please visit a board certified dermatologist who can assess your acne and prescribe treatment for you.  It can take at least 2 months before you notice results so try to be patient.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

14 years old with acne

+1

When you visit a dermatologist, then the proper evaluation of your acne can begin.  Most over the counter products contain benzyl peroxide which dries and has antibacterial effects.  When you were placed on prescription medications, they may have "made it worse" but usually it takes 12 weeks to see results.  When we evaluate acne, many factors are considered: Genetics, hormonal, activities, etc. 

Follow up with your dermatologist.  Sometime the oral medication isotretinoin (everyone calls it Accutane) may be advised.  Give you skin a chance.

Good luck, take care.

Cheryl Eberting, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologist