Does a Sun Tan Really Get Rid of Acne?

I have moderate acne on my face and back since I was a teenager, and my mother has always told me that I should go tanning or lay out to get rid of it.  It seems to help sometimes, but once the tan goes away my acne tends to get worse. Does sun exposure or tanning really help treat acne?  I could see that UV light might do something, but I'm worried about sun damage, too.  Thanks.

Tanning Not a Treatment for Acne

+1
Any skin-clearing benefits of unprotected sun exposure are negated by its harmful effects. Although you may notice a temporary improvement in your acne, laying out is not a healthy choice in the long run. By now you know that UV rays are major contributors to skin cancer and premature aging. Your acne may clear up negligibly, but the overall quality of your skin will deteriorate and you will develop wrinkles and discoloration at a younger age. Topical washes and creams containing salicylic acid, lactic acid, benzoyl peroxide or retinols may help occasional breakouts and even out the skin tone. Using a sunblock meant for sensitive skin and acne prone skin is critical for long term skin health. If you can't manage your acne at home, see a dermatologist. Best of luck!

Tucson Dermatologic Surgeon

Acne treatment options in Santa Monica

+1

The sun has cumulative harmful effects and should not be a first line treatment for acne. Our office recommends topical treatments and Melapeels to help correct acne symptoms.

Raffy Karamanoukian MD FACS

Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Sun exposure - Worst thing you could do

+1

Over the years, those people who maintain the best skin elasticity are those who avoid UV exposure. There is NO skin care program that is better than sun avoidance.

The problem you have is that acne also harms skin elasticity so it would make matters much worse in the long run to add the elastic damage of UV on top of what damage is associated with the acne alone.

Go to an excellent Dermatologist for the most up to date management options!

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Unprotected Sun Exposure Worsens Acne, Causes Wrinkling and Skin Cancer

+1

It seems like sun exposure clears your skin in the short-term because the skin dries out and the tan (or sunburn) you develop helps camouflage the acne. In addition, the sunlight can act as an anti-inflammatory and improve your acne temporarily. However, unprotected time in the sun or the tanning salon is one of the worst things you can do for your skin in general.  This leads to even more dead skin for your body to shed, leaving you with a greater chance for pore-clogging skin cells to mix with bacteria and oil to form blemishes. Long-term unprotected sun exposure can also result in premature signs of aging and drastically increases your chances of developing skin cancer. If you use a prescription acne medication, these drugs can make the skin very sensitive to the rays of the sun and tanning booths.

Instead of risking permanent skin damage, I recommend making an appointment with a board certified dermatologist to discuss your treatment options.

Ashley R. Curtis, MD
Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon

Ultraviolet light causes acne FLARES 2-3 weeks later

+1

Well, in this case mother certainly does NOT know best. The temporary improvement is the result of the damaged first layer of skin sloughing off. The acne always flares 2-3 weeks later due to the cells in the pore not being shed properly, and likely due to the delayed inflammation of the skin from the damaging UV rays. And that is not even discussing the delayed risk of skin cancers, brown blotches and premature wrinkling.

There are now so many healthy options to treat acne (check out Cooltouch and Isolaz) that it is downright foolish to use ultraviolet light for the very temporary result.

Good luck and keep being smart.

Mary Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

Don't use tanning as your acne treatment

+1

Although some patients' acne gets better in the summer, I am not a fan of tanning beds or tanning outside to treat acne. Many of the medicines that are beneficial for acne, such as doxycyline pills and tretinoin do not interact well with the sun.

I have patients who develop pigmentation where their acne papules and cysts were with sun exposure.

Not to mention tanning lead to damage to the collagen and premature aging. So wear your sunscreen and use the acne medicines prescribed by your dermatologist.

Brenda Dintiman, MD
Fairfax Dermatologic Surgeon